Project criticism - what do you think a project is?

It's so unfortunate that people have to feel like they can't share their projects on here without fear of unnecessary and unhelpful criticism. I love to watch the projects develop and learn much from them. You guys are all doing amazing work and you should be able to share it on here without feeling like you are going to get blasted!
frow.gif

Fowlafoot they are GORGEOUS! What is the one on the bottom (other than very cute)? I adore crests
smile.png
The one in the middle is ginger red isn't it?

Cara--you may own the chiropractor money to unravel my tongue! I have never seen mille fleur in standard sized birds--sounds really pretty--I wonder why it isn't more common. (Even without adding the exotic citron.)

Quote:
Are those colors that you have OEGB? I cant help you with that.

From the BYC Rules :
9. Do not promote other poultry websites that could be considered in competition to BYC. Sometimes it may be appropriate to link to another site that has specific information relative to a question, but moderators have to right to remove links and posts at their discretion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
The bottom is a Spangled Orloff x Buff Laced Bearded Polish, I've nicknamed them porloffs. This spring's generation is about keeping the crest while breeding out the recessive vaulted skull from the Polish and beginning to set them into their future color patterns. I'm thinking white laced red, gold spangled for starters but that depends on what hatches... The middle one is asil x american game (as are the first two) and since the asils were bred for character not color we really aren't sure what all was in his father color genetics wise... but it does look similar to a ginger.

I think I know 4 things about mille fluer... wheaten base, sex link gold, columbian restriction, and recessive mottling... but I know nothing about the citron
Oh and a spangled pattern on a wheaten base looks a little like mille fluer
ThaiHens.jpg

Great discussions and beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing your projects with us.

Cara, that is a tough one, but they sure would be beautiful birds.

Speckled Sussex is probably the most thought of mille fleur large fowl breed.

I know several folks, including us, are working on large fowl mille (jubilee) orps. My F1s are due to hatch tomorrow.

I know that Jean over in Montana that has all the dutch has mille fluer dutch. She has gotten citron mille fluer, buff columbian and some other colors just from her mille fluers. I am pretty sure citron is recessive. What does the cream buttercup look like?

Oooh, I want to see, Jody. I love mille fleur polka dotty chickens and I'm a big orpington fan.

I love everyone's pictures. Its interesting to see what other people like, and think is wonderful, and want to share with others.

Fowlafoot, I love that red rooster, what a pretty bird. And speaking of what others find wonderful.....something about asils and modern games just creeps me out, those long legs...shiver.
hmm.png

Quote:
My red project is different than most other red projects I have seen.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=80765

I was fortunate to get a real odd bird. The big red roo I am using to develop my color is a cross of a blue orp roo and a buff orp hen. He is 100% orpington. No one could have predicted his color and so far I haven't seen anyone repeat it with a blue x buff pairing.

novred6.jpg

novred1.jpg

On the advise of several of the more advanced genetics people I put him over a pen of buff orps (from Jody and Charlie's buffs) and am now hatch F2 of his offspring. I have some fairly brassy boys but nothing like the color of their daddy. Yet.
wink.png

The flaming red color of my roo isn't anything like the deep mahogany of the RIR's (that is a RIR pullet in the photo with him). It is like a flame, brassy red with a black tail. I am trying to reproduce his color not develop a color similar to the UK red orps. The 2 dark buffs in the back of the photo are his only 2 daughters. The hens are throwing alot of cockerals!

Once I get the color of the feathering them I'll start working on that comb.

I call my orps I am raising from his sire Old Dominion Orpingtons.

His color reminds me of the red clay hills I grew up on in Georgia that stained my bare feet as a kid and planted itself deep in my memories. It is the same color red that greeted me at the foothills of the Blue Ridge when I made my new home here in Virginia. It's the color of the land that gave me a love of the earth and the creatures she bares.

Back
Top Bottom