project: gold barred banty cochins

steve2495

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Lake Forest Illinois
i was trying to get this answered on the other post but it was on the 3rd page and no one seemed to care
hu.gif
. basically i want to know how u make gold barring. from the other post it sounded like barredXbuff bred to buff i currently have a barred roo a barred/buff roo and two barred/buff hens i used to have a buff hen but a coyote got her
sad.png
. if i were to breed my barred/buff with buff would i get the begginings of gold barring? my barred/buff look like birchen with streaks of buff in the roos and faint barring. thanks

I wanna know, too!
clap.gif
I love barring, and I'd like to learn more about it. For instance, what's the difference between barred and cukoo! Actually, what's the difference between buff and gold? Show me pics, Steve, if you please. I have a buff Silkie that seems to have a barred pattern in spots, and I'd love to be able to replicate and enhance this trait. Seems like a worthwhile project, so somebody help him out, please.
31816_phyllis_miller.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
I just read the other post, and yeah, you really got brushed off! Wow. I am sorry that I have zero for answer for you. Maybe you could experiment on your own and come up with a breakthrough. I really hope you find your help!

Quote:
He didn't get brushed off. He was, inadvertently I'm sure, "hijacking" a thread which is considered rude.

Pretty much, if you see something that is not covered in an original poster's question, and is not led to by a person replying, then you need to start your own thread.

I do not know the barring thing, but tadkerson has a Rhode Bar that he has been working on. I bet if you asked nicely in a PM you could get an answer. Krys109uk is also knowledgeable on this subject.

Quote:
He didn't get brushed off. He was, inadvertently I'm sure, "hijacking" a thread which is considered rude.

Pretty much, if you see something that is not covered in an original poster's question, and is not led to by a person replying, then you need to start your own thread.

I do not know the barring thing, but tadkerson has a Rhode Bar that he has been working on. I bet if you asked nicely in a PM you could get an answer. Krys109uk is also knowledgeable on this subject.

thank u im sorry i have been on this website for just a little bit and i thought ppl might perfer if i posted on the gold barring topic that is already there rather than starting a new one.

Last edited:
Steve,

I was waiting for Krys to answer the question. I do not like to answer questions directed to others.

1. Buff or red male X barred black female = F1 females black leaking red or buff ( pseudo-birchen) and barred males black leaking red or buff ( pseudo-birchen) Use a red male because this insures that every bird carries gold. If the barred female carries silver then the males will be heterozygous for (split) silver and gold and look silver/ straw birchen.

I always use a gold male if I want gold birds as an end product. You could use a black barred male on a red/buff female because they both produce the same kind of silver male. That is if silver enters the picture.

2. From here on I am assuming both parents in the first cross were gold. Back cross F1 pseudo-birchen barred male X buff/red female= (BC1)

a. pseudo-birchen barred males and females

b. smutty ( black in feathers) barred reds/buff males and females

c. pseudo-birchen males and females

d. smutty reds/buff males and females

backcross the BC1 barred birds (male or female) with the least amount of smut to a buff/red= some good barred and red birds

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom