Project, questionable chick color sultan x Mille

yellowherb

Songster
5 Years
Mar 22, 2015
Florida
I intended to do a project with Sultans but it has taken a early turn and it appears my sultan roo topped a Mille Fleur hen. I'm positive the egg was mille due to it's cream color. But out pops a white, 5 toed chick with a dark(black) colored blotch on fuzz on it's side. It has no crest so far and the comb appears to be a straight comb like the Mille. I did not intend this cross but since my chickens are currently running around together I guess it happened. All previous Mille chicks have been normal colored and no 5 toes since that's not a Mille thing.

I thought from my small amount of research Sultans were recessive white?
According to the calculator I also thought all my first generation crosses of any color of hen with Sultan roo would be black. Maybe I'm using that wrong though.

Does anyone have any ideas of what genes I'm dealing with. If this chick stays true to it's hatch color it will be more of a pied since the splotch of color is only on one side.

I have several sultan hen eggs due to hatch in the next day and it's very possible they are from the Mille Fleur rooster, it will be interesting to see if they are similar to the chick I just got. As a interesting side note, I thought my sultan rooster was sterile. My sultan hen eggs were always failures until recently and that's when I noticed the Mille doing a lot of topping.

Wished I could answer your question, but I've never dealt with either breed.

It is interesting though.

BTW: I saw your post on the Mix and Matches Thread. I posted there also.

I intended to do a project with Sultans but it has taken a early turn and it appears my sultan roo topped a Mille Fleur hen. I'm positive the egg was mille due to it's cream color. But out pops a white, 5 toed chick with a dark(black) colored blotch on fuzz on it's side. It has no crest so far and the comb appears to be a straight comb like the Mille. I did not intend this cross but since my chickens are currently running around together I guess it happened. All previous Mille chicks have been normal colored and no 5 toes since that's not a Mille thing.

I thought from my small amount of research Sultans were recessive white?
According to the calculator I also thought all my first generation crosses of any color of hen with Sultan roo would be black. Maybe I'm using that wrong though.

Does anyone have any ideas of what genes I'm dealing with. If this chick stays true to it's hatch color it will be more of a pied since the splotch of color is only on one side.

I have several sultan hen eggs due to hatch in the next day and it's very possible they are from the Mille Fleur rooster, it will be interesting to see if they are similar to the chick I just got. As a interesting side note, I thought my sultan rooster was sterile. My sultan hen eggs were always failures until recently and that's when I noticed the Mille doing a lot of topping.
sounds like the sultan carried recessive and dominant white. The offspring is heterozygous or split for dominant white. It is also possible that the mille carried a recessive white gene . I favor the dominant white.

If you hatch more eggs from the cross you should get some mostly black offspring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom