1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

prolapse but still going strong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crooked Beak, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Crooked Beak

Crooked Beak New Egg

Jan 5, 2009
    I thought she was a goner, but she seems to be slowly recovering. My Ruby (new Hampshire Red) has a bad case of prolapse. I keep her inside at night away from everyone else, clean her up and in the morning I put her outside with the others. She seem fine, happy, eating a bit. But the thinng keeps coming back out. Will it ever stay in there? or am I just buying time?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you used preparation H to shrink the protrusion? Sounds like you stlil have a chance, I hope experienced owners will jump in here shortly, I'd hate to see you lose her.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  3. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I had a prolapsed hen who we lost after she was looking good and seeming to get better. I am not trying to be pessimistic, but you should brace yourself for an unexpected death, just in case.
    Are you pushing the tissue back in? Sometimes I would not recommend that because the tissue could be dead. In this case, you should just let it die and fall off.

Good luck!!!

4. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I had a silver lace wyandotte that I constantly had to treat with preparation H. It would be fine & go back in & 2 days later it would be prolapsed again. I had to keep her seperated from the rest because the others would pick on it. She died after 3 weeks of it constantly happening. Good luck to you & your girl

5. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    I have a barred rock that had a very bad prolapse and it healed. I have a post on here with pics and progression. She is fine now. It went back in completely, and all of her feathers have grown back around her vent. I almost killed her, she stunk, and the prolapse was terrible. Check my thread about her.
    Im glad I waited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by