Prolapse gone, but chicken still not right..

bigbadwolf38

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2012
Central Texas
My hen had a prolapse for about 1 1/2 weeks. I did all the things suggested, cleaned it best I could. She still had a bit of white, scab-like stuff on her when it went in on it's own. I have since moved her back out to the run, but she still doesn't seem to be right. She is constantly pecking at her backside, like it itches or something, and I don't see her eating like she should. She did poop a giant, turd-like log, but I haven't seen any normal poop in a while. She also hasn't laid an egg for about a month, I'd say. There is an odor by her vent, but I can't get her to eat yogurt. She did have some lettuce today. Any suggestions?

It's when the vent comes out, the tube where the chicken's eggs come out..go to advance search bar and type in prolapse, there are threads where there are pics of what it can look like. Not a pretty sight, but manageable..

its not prolapse that my baby chick has, my baby chick is a week and half old and i'm pretty sure she is backed up she tries to poop and cant what can I do to help her

I'm no expert, but is it possible that your hen is egg-bound? You mentioned that she hadn't laid an egg in awhile and that she had an unpleasant odor, so I was wondering if it was a rotten egg smell or a yeasty smell?

I have been dealing with a chick that is constipated and also had a prolapsed vent from straining so hard so I have researched everything under the sun... search Vent Gleet for you hen... I'd also search egg bound. There is a lot of information on how to treat both on this sight (if that is what is going on). I had a hen that was egg bound and she died a week or so after showing symptoms so if your hen was egg bound I'd be really surprised if she would have survived a month, but I'm not an expert be any means. I've been treating the prolapse and constipation in my chick with preparation H and molasses (food grade) mixed with warm water (One large drop to one tablespoon) and getting it to drink at least 7 sips (preferable 12) 3 times a day. I will say that the molasses has been working to loosen up it's stool. I also have read that feeding them hard boiled egg (especially the yolk) is good for their digestive system if they won't eat yogurt. My sick hen would only eat with her coop-mates... So I would pull her out of her isolation and sit with her with the food near her and make sure none of the other birds would pick on her. I guess it was the competitive feeding habits that are instinct. They really seem to like the egg.

I did end up taking my sick hen to the vet who confirmed the egg bound and had her humanely euthanized because she was so far gone and suffering... Like I said it happened really quick for mine so hopefully yours just has an unbalanced bacterial or yeast infection from being backed up for so long... Wish I could be of better assistance.

Read up on Peritonitis. This "can" be a hard thing to treat but getting on it quick is the key to success. She seems to young if I read correctly on the age. If constipation is involved it "Could be" an intestinal infection. I was told by an Avian Vet that I Should NOT give Yogurt to my Hens & Milk products are NOT Good. I have seen many stating they use yogurt. Pectin is Good for creating Good Bacteria if your treating with Anti's. I would think at this age the only "possible" treatment would be the Oxytetracycline Drench(READ UP First on age VS Antibiotics safe to use or TRY the "Ask A Vet" for birds which I think requires a $20 fee).
You May want to check out Chick Start (seen it in the Antibiotic section at the feed store). I just had a Hen put down for what the Vet "thought" was Cancer but come to find out MY Diagnosis was the correct one which was Peritonitis. So far the Necropsy showed Moderate Peritonitis with ectopic internal layer. I'm waiting on the Final BUT SHE didn't seem to have any problem pooping until recently(Visable symptoms started 4-5 mos.). Realistically the initial signs were last spring when she started laying thin shelled eggs. When I took her to the Vet she had faster than norm. breathing,distended abdomen & you could feel a round hard nodule(the Vet Swore it was Cancer). She started Drinking A LOT of Water & in the last 4-6 weeks she started frothing at the mouth some & problems swallowing-eating. She had been treated with LA200 which helped but didn't cure it.
I had been treating others for a Respiratory disease & used Baytril. I told the Vet I had another Hen showing the same "initial" symptoms as this particular Hen (laying thin shelled eggs/are gritty) & SHE said that the Baytril would treat a Peritonitis situation IF she had this on top of the Respiratory Disease.
I personally think I just had a bad stroke of luck & THIS HEN just looked like she had a Respiratory Disease like the others when IN fact it is Peritonitis. I will share when I get the FINAL results on the one I had to put down. The one thing I expected to see but Didn't in this case was cooked egg coming out. I had an older hen 2 Yrs ago who had Peritonitis & she went quick. Maybe it was more severe-advanced.
With Chickens its very tricky & the symptoms can fit other disorders. The One thing I find so hard to believe is that I have 2 HENS with Peritonitis. Its NOT suppose to be catchy so I hope the cultures they are doing might show a bacteria or Fungi that could have triggered the Peritonitis.
Good Luck!

Kind of yeasty..
Maybe a bacterial imbalance then, or as 'upmycreek' suggested, constipation. I was told by my vet to give my dog pumpkin if he's constipated, or if he has the runs - apparently it's a great digestive balancer. Since I`ve read that pumpkin is good to give chickens as well, maybe you could try some mashed cooked pumpkin. Even the canned stuff (plain, without added spices) works. It can`t hurt to try, IMHO. If you think it`s constipation rather than a yeast infection, I`d go easy on the yogurt though: it can be constipating for some in larger amounts. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom