Prolapse???? Help Please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlthomas94, Oct 27, 2013.

1. jlthomas94

jlthomas94 New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    My 6 month old Silkie seems to have a prolapse. She has not started laying yet. We soaked her for 20 mins in warm epsom bath. Just applied honey and can see her contracting. Is there an egg in there?

I contacted her breeder and she suggested cutting the sac and removing the egg (if there is one) then applying ointment and preparation H.

I have not seen one suggestion of cutting and trying to remove anything on here. Would an egg do this?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It would be easy enough to insert a rubber gloved and lubricated finger an inch or so into the vent and feel for a stuck egg. While doing this, feel her abdomen for anything inside. If there is an egg, put her in a warm bath for 30 minutes, and give her 1/2 a crushed Tums, or 1/4 a crushed calcium tablet. Ground egg shell works also--give this in some yogurt or wet feed. Calcium will help to release the egg. If there is no egg, it can happen, so just watch her after she has a bowel movement since it can recur.

Do not break the egg sac to get the egg out.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Do you have a photograph of the prolapse.....? Are her insides protruding from her backside?

A prolapse would require her to be isolated, in a darkened area... by all means, as suggested give her a warm bath and give her vitamins as described above.

Honey has antibacterial properties and is good to apply to her backside.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by