Prolapse - help!

happyhenmama23

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2023
Hi! My buff Pekin (approx 2.5 years) suffered a prolapse three days ago. She seemed (and still seems) otherwise well, I was only alerted to the problem by the fact that she had liquid poop covering her gorgeous fluffy butt. Since then, her prolapse has not gotten better but it has not really become worse either. Her vent is bulging out, and she has prolific white discharge running out which also smells really bad. I have kept her isolated from the flock, kept her in minimal light, been feeding her cracked corn and greens. She laid an egg over night, but it was soft shelled and broken when I found it. It appears that half the shell/membrane is missing so I think it might still be stuck inside her (could account for the bad smell). Prior to this I had tried manually putting the prolapse back in, but it pops out almost immediately. I’m thinking I should give it a day and if nothing has changed I’ll have to have her put to sleep. Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or if you think this course of action is appropriate. Thanks 😌

Also should have said, I have no avian vet near me. Every vet I’ve called has suggested to cull within a few days if no improvement. I’ve also tried honey, preparation H and Epsom salt baths with no luck. Not sure what else I can try?

Can you post a picture of her prolapse? Is she pooping anything but the while material? If I were you, I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D every day until her prolapse goes back in and stays. That can help increase her muscle contraction. A daily warm soak can help to keep her clean and then keep it moist with honey or cream until it goes in. I hope that her prolapse is better, but it sometimes can take a week for them to get better.

Read this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/ It will explain how a prolapse happens and why and how to treat it.

Your hen has all the signs of a stuck or collapsed egg. She needs calcium right now. Get some calcium citrate, at least 600 mg and give her a tablet right now, don't waste time getting around to it as this is a medical emergency of the sort that will kill.

Back
Top Bottom