Prolapse in my female coturnix- when to give up?

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
I have been treating this female for a couple of days for prolapse. It seems to have gotten a little better but there is still protrusion. I was reading that people cull if it does not improve after a couple of days, is this best? or should I keep trying? Also, I’ve been soaking her once a day and trying to push it back in and hold it in after. I was using preparation H but I saw somewhere that it’s no longer recommended?

If it's getting better, I'd give her a bit more time. I've always used an antibacterial wash and a q-tip to gently push things back in. Keep her quiet and separated for a couple of days. Stress makes it worse in my experience.

How bad is the prolapse? If it’s small and isn’t bleeding, I wouldn’t give up yet. I had one that was pretty bad in a new hen, she was egg bound, and it gave her a huge prolapse after I helped work the egg out. It took 4-5 days to be completely retracted back inside. Also try to keep her in a dark area to try to keep her from laying again until it is fully healed.

How bad is the prolapse? If it’s small and isn’t bleeding, I wouldn’t give up yet. I had one that was pretty bad in a new hen, she was egg bound, and it gave her a huge prolapse after I helped work the egg out. It took 4-5 days to be completely retracted back inside. Also try to keep her in a dark area to try to keep her from laying again until it is fully healed.
It was pretty big at first, but now it just sticks out about half an inch. However, it is pretty gnarly looking and seems to have hard crusty bits accumulating on it that are very difficult to remove even after soaking. I have been googling it but I haven’t seen a lot of helpful things beyond getting started with the soaking and the Holding in the prolapse…I’ve also been keeping her in the dark mostly to help prevent her from laying eggs and I feel like that’s not great for her health either, but I’m losing hope

It was pretty big at first, but now it just sticks out about half an inch. However, it is pretty gnarly looking and seems to have hard crusty bits accumulating on it that are very difficult to remove even after soaking. I have been googling it but I haven’t seen a lot of helpful things beyond getting started with the soaking and the Holding in the prolapse…I’ve also been keeping her in the dark mostly to help prevent her from laying eggs and I feel like that’s not great for her health either, but I’m losing hope
A half inch doesn’t sound too severe. Can you try keeping her on paper towels or a dish towel so she doesn’t get as much stuck to it? You can put neosporin on it to keep it moist and prevent infection.

On a funny note, my phone corrected neosporin to “bro’s potion” twice! Is it really more likely for someone to type bro’s potion than neosporin?

A half inch doesn’t sound too severe. Can you try keeping her on paper towels or a dish towel so she doesn’t get as much stuck to it? You can put neosporin on it to keep it moist and prevent infection.

On a funny note, my phone corrected neosporin to “bro’s potion” twice! Is it really more likely for someone to type bro’s potion than neosporin?
I have her on a pee pad, so whatever is sticking to her is coming from her. I have been soaking and giving her various creams Such as Hydro Cortizone and also just plain hemorrhoid cream which of have read is not recommended anymore but I have no idea why. Yes it’s not terrible, it just doesn’t seem to be getting better… but maybe it will. One source, A popular chicken blogger, said if it’s not better in a couple days then they should be culled to ease suffering. I wasn’t sure about that that’s why I’m posting here. I don’t want to draw it out though if she’s not going to get better

And yes the auto correct goes crazy sometimes! When I use talk to text it often thinks that I have a foul mouth, especially when I’m texting family members, so I have to always double check what it is typed out 😂

Back
Top Bottom