Prolapse in quail, again! Help PLEASE!

Wow what a trousers. ..hope she gets better soon I would keep up the dark and reduce her calcium....the calcium reduction may help the egg shell be less thick and slow egg laying.....good luck

Help! I have a quail that had prolapse and was partially egg bound this morning. The prolapse has gone back in, but I haven't seen her poo yet. It was her first egg.
Can prolapse stop a quail/chicken from pooping if it's gone back in? She's acting fine except she sometimes stops to strain.

Help! I have a quail that had prolapse and was partially egg bound this morning. The prolapse has gone back in, but I haven't seen her poo yet. It was her first egg.
Can prolapse stop a quail/chicken from pooping if it's gone back in? She's acting fine except she sometimes stops to strain.
I do not know anything about prolapses as I have not had it happen to me yet. But I would probably make a whole new thread as this one is 2 years old and with a new thread you should get more answers.

I do not know anything about prolapses as I have not had it happen to me yet. But I would probably make a whole new thread as this one is 2 years old and with a new thread you should get more answers.
I did make a whole new thread when it initially happened, I was just wondering. I've asked TudyBOT for help in the forum section called TudyBOT's corner.

Prolapse won't stop a bird from pooping, but being egg bound will. Keep an eye on her and make sure she's eating and drinking as well. Did you get some calcium citrate for her?

Prolapse won't stop a bird from pooping, but being egg bound will. Keep an eye on her and make sure she's eating and drinking as well. Did you get some calcium citrate for her?
Yes. I got calcium powder for reptiles/birds. She's acting normal now and we got the egg out. The prolapse receded within an hour after the egg got out.
She's pooped now, but she was struggling to poop before. She's now having no trouble pooping at all.
I'm just worried now about her possibly laying an egg today and it getting stuck again.
Now I have some epsom salt to make it less horrible for her if she does it again.

She wasn't pooping because she was egg bound. It is very important to treat an egg bound bird because if she doesn't pass that egg, she will die. I'm very glad that your bird passed the egg. Keep an eye on her, but it is less likely to happen now that she's getting calcium.

Back
Top Bottom