Prolapse In Year Old Pullet - (Resolved)

Wishapup

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2013
Canada
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Pullet is a 10 month old Silkie/bantam cross. Always has been very tiny. I don't know the exact weight, but she doesn't appears to be underweight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Behaving normally.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Yesterday evening/afternoon - Tuesday, March 18th. I noticed her entire vent and tail area appeared to be soaking.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No. However, I have had chickens for around 9 years and never had a prolapse. In the last eight weeks, I had a year old BR pullet with a sudden, severe prolapse that we put down, so this is my 2nd experience in a short time.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Red protrusion - prolapse - while bathing, noticed it was possibly bleeding a little bit.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Not sure. Some birds in my flock tend to have 'dirtier' vents on average, but the affected pullet in question has never had that problem, always been very clean. She's been laying since fall. No unusual events have occurred in the coop.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Yes, eating and drinking normally and enthusiastic for treats. I have given her some natural plain yogurt mixed with crumbled cuttlebone (calcium? I was concerned if she was eggbound), some Stress Aid electrolyte/vitamin powder, and a little cayenne pepper.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Normal, but there seems to be a lot of it with a large amount of fluid.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I brought her in the house this morning. I have been feeding her the plain yogurt/vitamins/cuttlebone mix, which she loves.

We tried to bathe her this afternoon. I put on gloves and kept pouring warm water over the area. There appears to be a crust over the top of the prolapse which we didn't get off, even with soaking. I poked the area, thinking I would feel a bulge or hard spot if she was eggbound.... but I don't know what to look for. The area seemed soft and I couldn't feel anything like an egg. The hen is still relatively perky after over 24 hours - could she still be eggbound? I then sprinkled sugar over the prolapse and dried the hen. After we washed her, she wanted to peck near her tail area. Not sure what to do next.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Plan to treat completely myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

This is the lone bantam egg I found in the coop this morning. I have 3 bantam hens in total - the affected pullet and two 6 year olds. This egg has a tiny bit of blood on it, which I have seen before on other eggs. It could have come from the hen with the prolapse:

After bathing - prolapse and crust are visible. There is a small amount of milky fluid seeping from part of the prolapse as well.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Straw, due to be cleaned out.

---------

She is the most friendly hen we have - I would appreciate any suggestions as to 1) her prolapse, 2) if she is eggbound, and 3) the cause (or coincidence).

Thank you!

I found a few other treatments/remedies that I am considering - does anyone have any more information?

1) Push prolapse back in
2) Antibiotic ointment - we have Triple Antibiotic
3) Honey on prolapse
4) Feeding garlic
5) Keep in dark area/limit light to avoid egg laying? I still don't know if she's eggbound....do I feel the abdomen? If so, what should I feel?

Do I try to push the prolapse back in?

I found a few other treatments/remedies that I am considering - does anyone have any more information?

1) Push prolapse back in
2) Antibiotic ointment - we have Triple Antibiotic
3) Honey on prolapse
4) Feeding garlic
5) Keep in dark area/limit light to avoid egg laying? I still don't know if she's eggbound....do I feel the abdomen? If so, what should I feel?

I had a silver laced Wyandotte pullet prolapse last month. I purchased some mineral oil at Safeway, gloved up, lubed my finger with the mineral oil and shoved it back in as far as I could. I think I had to do it twice then it stayed in for good. She's totally recovered and laying again. She lives in a coop with 2 roosters and 10 other hens, including a 50 lb turkey. I chose not to separate her or do anything special. I just pushed it back in and left her alone. It was very cold here though, at that time and I think the cold helped reduce/prevent excessive inflammation. She had discharge but it was frozen to her and resolved on its own. I didn't treat her with antibiotics or anything. It might sound horrible and mean but I minimized her stress by not doing anything special and thankfully the other birds left her alone. She acted normal the entire time.

To check for being egg bound, you should feel an egg or an 'object' in her when you push her prolapse back in. Your finger should go a couple inches in. If you don't feel anything then she's likely not egg bound. I did all of this at night when they are all roosting and sleepy. That way she can rest and not be active overnight to let everything begin to heal.

I did turn off all of my coop lights after that. I figured, I love my girls too much to force them to lay with artificial light.

Good luck with your cutie!! I hope this is helpful! :)

This evening I just soaked her again, in warm water, for 15 minutes. Some stuff floated away but the crust remains dirty. She's a very good girl - but tried to fly out a couple of times. I blow-dried her.

The prolapse still seems big, with a lot of white oozing stuff (gleet?). I mixed Vitamin E oil with Triple Antibiotic/polysporin/polymixin/bacitracin zinc/gramicidin and rubbed it on. Because of the gleet, I gave her a small dose of super probiotic powder hidden in a grape. She ate it, so I know she got a full dose rather than mixing it with food.

By the look of the prolapse, I'm concerned that it's hopeless. She's our favourite hen. The BR with the severe prolapse that we put down before was wild, and treating her could have been impossible. This chicken is very cooperative and comes when she's called (after escaping her box!) I felt her abdomen for an egg, but again not sure what to look for. There was a firm lump below her neck/chest area, which seemed to me like her crop at the end of the day.

When I touch the prolapse, she seems to push at it. I'm not sure if she's eggbound or that's just her reaction to the feeling. She does not have a strange posture, and behaves normally (if somewhat dazed) after over 24 hours, eating and walking around. It does look like it's uncomfortable and rather gruesome looking.

She's now set up inside in a dog crate, after escaping her cardboard box and walking into the kitchen 6 times.

I'm afraid we might lose her.

Edit: Also have ACV in her water.

Last edited:
I had a silver laced Wyandotte pullet prolapse last month. I purchased some mineral oil at Safeway, gloved up, lubed my finger with the mineral oil and shoved it back in as far as I could. I think I had to do it twice then it stayed in for good. She's totally recovered and laying again. She lives in a coop with 2 roosters and 10 other hens, including a 50 lb turkey. I chose not to separate her or do anything special. I just pushed it back in and left her alone. It was very cold here though, at that time and I think the cold helped reduce/prevent excessive inflammation. She had discharge but it was frozen to her and resolved on its own. I didn't treat her with antibiotics or anything. It might sound horrible and mean but I minimized her stress by not doing anything special and thankfully the other birds left her alone. She acted normal the entire time.

To check for being egg bound, you should feel an egg or an 'object' in her when you push her prolapse back in. Your finger should go a couple inches in. If you don't feel anything then she's likely not egg bound. I did all of this at night when they are all roosting and sleepy. That way she can rest and not be active overnight to let everything begin to heal.

I did turn off all of my coop lights after that. I figured, I love my girls too much to force them to lay with artificial light.

Good luck with your cutie!! I hope this is helpful! :)

Thank you so much for your response! I just updated below, not knowing you had posted. She is inside now - as this is my favourite hen of the flock, I'm too worried to keep her in the coop. I think for any other hen, taking her inside would be a HUGE stress, like you mentioned, but this girl is unusually calm/comfortable with people and seems to be enjoying it. She kept getting out, walking into the kitchen, and looking for crumbs!

So you recommend pushing it back in? How big was yours? It looks nearly impossible...I'm worried about hurting her as she's so small, but I guess it needs to go in!

I'll try this evening.

This evening I just soaked her again, in warm water, for 15 minutes. Some stuff floated away but the crust remains dirty. She's a very good girl - but tried to fly out a couple of times. I blow-dried her.

The prolapse still seems big, with a lot of white oozing stuff (gleet?). I mixed Vitamin E oil with Triple Antibiotic/polysporin/polymixin/bacitracin zinc/gramicidin and rubbed it on. Because of the gleet, I gave her a small dose of super probiotic powder hidden in a grape. She ate it, so I know she got a full dose rather than mixing it with food.

By the look of the prolapse, I'm concerned that it's hopeless. She's our favourite hen. The BR with the severe prolapse that we put down before was wild, and treating her could have been impossible. This chicken is very cooperative and comes when she's called (after escaping her box!) I felt her abdomen for an egg, but again not sure what to look for. There was a firm lump below her neck/chest area, which seemed to me like her crop at the end of the day.

When I touch the prolapse, she seems to push at it. I'm not sure if she's eggbound or that's just her reaction to the feeling. She does not have a strange posture, and behaves normally (if somewhat dazed) after over 24 hours, eating and walking around. It does look like it's uncomfortable and rather gruesome looking.

She's now set up inside in a dog crate, after escaping her cardboard box and walking into the kitchen 6 times.

I'm afraid we might lose her.

Edit: Also have ACV in her water.

I would try to push it in immediately. Her's doesn't look as bad as my pullet's did. Push it in about 2 inches or so. You may have to do it again tomorrow but I would do that first and foremost.

I would try to push it in immediately. Her's doesn't look as bad as my pullet's did. Push it in about 2 inches or so. You may have to do it again tomorrow but I would do that first and foremost.

Okay. I did it. She is currently on my "operating table", eating pellets. I pushed it in 3 times. The first time I didn't go far enough. Second time it stayed in for a couple minutes. Third time was the same as the second. It just stays out. She also pushes at it, and the vent keeps swelling in and out.

She's about 1/4 the size of a standard chicken. Does 2 inches still apply? I can't tell how far I've pushed it, but 2 inches seems like a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom