Prolapse In Year Old Pullet - (Resolved)

Shoot, I'm so sorry I don't have any other ideas! Maybe wait until it's dark and she's 'ready for bed' or has been asleep for a while then try it again. That way maybe she'll be too relaxed to try to push it out. You're doing an awesome job on trying everything, that is fantastic, and not easy, I know. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this thread with some better ideas than I had, lol. :)

Thank you for all your help! I definitely appreciate your suggestions. Vet school unfortunately, won't be for a while - not in time, anyway.

I wonder if there's any untried methods that would work. Glue? Tape? Anything? I've pushed it in 4 times.

She did get all relaxed and was quiet and roosting, and I even offered pellets as a distraction, but she continues to push it out....

Maybe...somehow holding it shut, then taking it out in the morning in case she had to lay an egg?

I do have a lot of questions, sorry. Trying to think of everything.

Is calcium supplementation ONLY for pushing out an existing egg? Or can it help strengthen the muscle to keep in a prolapse? If so, I don't really have any calcium source...except maybe making some out of eggshell if I have to. The cuttlebone is gone.

I thought I read something about a "purse string" procedure. I will look it up and see if I can tie it in!

This morning, prolapse is still out. Hen is active, eating/drinking. Gleet is definitely apparent, will make it hard to keep the area clean.

I don't want her to lay eggs if possible, so I'm cutting down on food. Today she has eaten 1 grape (containing her full super probiotic dose), a few carrot peels, raw garlic, and a small amount of pellets for scratch. I have Chix Stress Aid and ACV in her water.

I will clean her again this afternoon. If the weather is good enough, I will allow her to free-range outside in hopes of strengthening the muscles. Maybe the prolapse will go back in eventually!

Outlook is good, seeing as this is only Day 3 and someone reported a prolapse cured after three months. We aren't running out of time, I gather.

She laid an egg this evening, despite my efforts at darkness (put a cloth over her cage) and restricting layer pellets. If she persists I will have to go back to full pellet feeding in order to support her nutritionally!

I'm so sorry I haven't gotten back to you!! I'm glad to hear she's holding stable. She probably had that egg in the works while she's been not feeling good. I would imagine she's done laying for a while
fl.gif
. I was thinking about the suture thing too as I've seen them do it for livestock that have prolapses. I just don't know if you can do it with chickens, lol. It would definitely be something to look into though!!!

It sounds like you are doing a fabulous job! I wish I had more helpful info for you but I think you'd be the one to call if this ever happens to my chickens again, lol!

Keep us posted on how she's doing if you can!!

I'm so sorry I haven't gotten back to you!! I'm glad to hear she's holding stable. She probably had that egg in the works while she's been not feeling good. I would imagine she's done laying for a while
fl.gif
. I was thinking about the suture thing too as I've seen them do it for livestock that have prolapses. I just don't know if you can do it with chickens, lol. It would definitely be something to look into though!!!

It sounds like you are doing a fabulous job! I wish I had more helpful info for you but I think you'd be the one to call if this ever happens to my chickens again, lol!

Keep us posted on how she's doing if you can!!

Thank you for your response and for telling me how to push the prolapse back in! I agree that there's probably not a lot more to do.

She's out of the house and is free-ranging now. I did look at some products today, but I couldn't find any smaller sizes of things other than for horses and cows. I don't need a $50 gallon jug of Witch Hazel.

I'll try to keep pushing the prolapse back in and applying honey/Vitamin E/ointment to it, but other than that I'm just going to see what happens. She appears comfortable. The gleet is quite evident despite all the probiotics and vitamins she is getting - it's continuous.

Good news!
big_smile.png

She quit laying after the original egg, which like you said, must have been in the works before the prolapse. I haven't been treating her at all for the last week or so - just waiting. She's in the coop and functioning normally, except for laying. Two days ago when I checked it had shrunk only slightly.

12th day - today - I noticed she looked suspiciously dry and fluffy. I picked her up, and the prolapse has finally gone back in! You can't tell anything has happened, though I might do a glove examination just to check under all those feathers.

I now hope that this doesn't happen again, and I'm happy she seems to have made a complete recovery for a 1 lb chicken
smile.png

After 12 days of not laying, the day after the prolapse returned, she has laid a tiny egg! I expect she will be back to full laying again soon!

Good news!
big_smile.png

She quit laying after the original egg, which like you said, must have been in the works before the prolapse. I haven't been treating her at all for the last week or so - just waiting. She's in the coop and functioning normally, except for laying. Two days ago when I checked it had shrunk only slightly.

12th day - today - I noticed she looked suspiciously dry and fluffy. I picked her up, and the prolapse has finally gone back in! You can't tell anything has happened, though I might do a glove examination just to check under all those feathers.

I now hope that this doesn't happen again, and I'm happy she seems to have made a complete recovery for a 1 lb chicken
smile.png

After 12 days of not laying, the day after the prolapse returned, she has laid a tiny egg! I expect she will be back to full laying again soon!

Yaaaay!! I'm so excited!!!! Thanks for keeping us posted and keep the updates coming!! :)

Back
Top Bottom