prolapse of vent

TeriS

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
Fort Wayne, Indiana
My hen's vent prolapsed and looked awful for a week or so back in late October. We separated her from the rest of our hens, gave her a heat lamp in her isolation coop, water and oatmeal and grapes to eat, as well as some green grass, etc...We soaked her nightly in warm water for 20 minutes, towel dried and blow dried her, then applied hemorroid cream and honey to her vent and she is now back to normal!! I am unsure if she's laid an egg since then, but she is perky, looks good and no longer has white fluid dripping from her vent. And her prolapse is all back in and it was golf ball size. Thanks to all those who helped me through this time w/ your suggestions and advice. I have the 1 1/2 year old golden comet. Thanks!!

Congrats! I had a hen that had a full prolaps back in August, she didnt make it, died in my arms.
sad.png
poor gal

Yes, I honestly never thought I'd get so attached to my girls! I'm so glad she is better and I know that she must be laying again as we have 11 hens and I got my first 11 eggs on Saturday- I'd never had them all lay an egg on the same day, so I know she is better now!
big_smile.png
And she still looks fine:) What a relief! Thanks to all of you! And I am really sorry for those hens that get a prolapse and don't make it- so sad!!

Back
Top Bottom