prolapse of vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeriS, Nov 4, 2010.

1. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My hen's vent prolapsed and looked awful for a week or so back in late October. We separated her from the rest of our hens, gave her a heat lamp in her isolation coop, water and oatmeal and grapes to eat, as well as some green grass, etc...We soaked her nightly in warm water for 20 minutes, towel dried and blow dried her, then applied hemorroid cream and honey to her vent and she is now back to normal!! I am unsure if she's laid an egg since then, but she is perky, looks good and no longer has white fluid dripping from her vent. And her prolapse is all back in and it was golf ball size. Thanks to all those who helped me through this time w/ your suggestions and advice. I have the 1 1/2 year old golden comet. Thanks!!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm glad your chicken is doing better. That must be a relief.

Imp

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Congrats! I had a hen that had a full prolaps back in August, she didnt make it, died in my arms. [​IMG] poor gal

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well now that I read this, if it ever happens to me I know what to do somewhat. Great thread.

5. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Yes, I honestly never thought I'd get so attached to my girls! I'm so glad she is better and I know that she must be laying again as we have 11 hens and I got my first 11 eggs on Saturday- I'd never had them all lay an egg on the same day, so I know she is better now![​IMG] And she still looks fine:) What a relief! Thanks to all of you! And I am really sorry for those hens that get a prolapse and don't make it- so sad!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by