Prolapse: Should I bandage the vent?

dustbath

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Washington County, NY
Yesterday I found one of our year-old hens with a prolapse the size of a walnut. This is a first for me and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. The prolapsed duct also has something attached to it, that looks like it could be a hemorrhoid.

It didn't look as if it had been pecked yet. I separated her from the others, in a crate in a dark room, to discourage egg-laying (she's a very frequent layer). I washed off the prolapse, smeared it heavily with Preparation H, poked it back in gently, and held it in for 5 minutes. I checked again in 10 minutes and it was out again so I repeated the procedure. It did this one more time then continued to repeat it as close to every half hour as I could manage yesterday and today.

Now, the prolapse is much smaller, about the size of a grape. The attached lump is also smaller. But it still isn't staying in.

I've read advice to bandage the vent so it is held in overnight. I can't really tell how this works. As far as I can guess, you place a gauze pad over the vent and wrap Vet Wrap around the hen to hold it in place. But how will she poop???? Someone suggested cutting a slit in the pad but that would seem to defeat the purpose.

Has anyone done this? Should I try the bandage? If so, how exactly should this be wrapped?

Thanks for any help!!!

If you apply this chicken pressure diaper, the thing has to be removed often so the hen can pass droppings. I probably would not do this. Since the prolapse is smaller today, I would just continue to apply Preparation H or honey, and twice a day, make sure that it will go back inside. It sounds like she may recover.

Thank you!! I'll stick with the Preparation H.

What about calcium supplements? I read somewhere that prolapse can be caused by a calcium deficiency. I started offering her oyster shells, which I wasn't giving previously on the assumption that her layer mash had enough but the advice was to give her liquid calcium. That isn't available locally. Can I make it myself? Is this even necessary?

Another question: since I've been applying the Prep H, the attachment to her prolapse has become covered in a white crust. It isn't hard but can't be washed or brushed off either. Is this something to worry about?

I've also started her on oxytetracycline as she doesn't seem well. I know calcium can interfere with this but it's the only locally available antibiotic.

Is there anything else I can do? I really want her to recover!

Thanks!!

Calcium deficiency can be a cause of prolapse. I like to feed my hens crushed egg shells that I have collected and baked in a 200 degree F oven for about 10 minutes to make them crunchy and clean. Liquid calcium is available at most farm store in the cattle section. Here are a few links on calcium gluconate and prolapse:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/819024/egg-bound-calcium-dosage
http://www.beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Thank you! I'll look in the cattle section for the calcium gluconate. I've been giving her, and everyone else, oyster shells but will try to find the liquid to boost the level.

Today it's still getting smaller and drier but still not staying in. She seems better though, stronger and noisier.

I did find the calcium gluconate in the cattle section - thanks!!

From the links you provided, I found the dosage but can't tell how often or how long I should administer it. Do you know?

Also, the bottle I have doesn't have any preservatives. Do you know how long it keeps?

I'm going to post these questions separately too. Thanks for all the help!!

Yesterday I found one of our year-old hens with a prolapse the size of a walnut. This is a first for me and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. The prolapsed duct also has something attached to it, that looks like it could be a hemorrhoid.

It didn't look as if it had been pecked yet. I separated her from the others, in a crate in a dark room, to discourage egg-laying (she's a very frequent layer). I washed off the prolapse, smeared it heavily with Preparation H, poked it back in gently, and held it in for 5 minutes. I checked again in 10 minutes and it was out again so I repeated the procedure. It did this one more time then continued to repeat it as close to every half hour as I could manage yesterday and today.

Now, the prolapse is much smaller, about the size of a grape. The attached lump is also smaller. But it still isn't staying in.

I've read advice to bandage the vent so it is held in overnight. I can't really tell how this works. As far as I can guess, you place a gauze pad over the vent and wrap Vet Wrap around the hen to hold it in place. But how will she poop???? Someone suggested cutting a slit in the pad but that would seem to defeat the purpose.

Has anyone done this? Should I try the bandage? If so, how exactly should this be wrapped?

Thanks for any help!!!
Had similar problem with 1 of my rescues. Did what you did, Prep H and replaced - then (in desperation) tried a human pantie liner taped each end to chicken (extra sticky tape!) which left a small gap for any poop - which was left on the pad sometimes anyway. This took a LONG time putting back each day and renewing pad. Eventually it actually worked and it seems to be back in OK (keep an eye on it just in case). Then put back with the rest. Fingers crossed its still in. Hope you succeed.

Thanks for any help!!!
This happens frequently unfortunately, especially rescue chooks. Anyway, have done just as you have quite a few times, sometimes it works, sometimes not, but its worth a go. Re pooping - Last success I had Prep H, had to keep pushing it back in few times every day for ages. Then tried "people" pantie liners over vent after PrepH and stuck sides to hen with strong sticky tape, leaving a bit of "play" to accommodate the poop. Isolate chook, bit messy but have to renew every time prolapse comes out. It did work but took 10 days or so! So its worth a go.

Back
Top Bottom