Prolapse that feels like shredded tissue...

I would agree but it wouldn't stay in - I tried several times.
That's the issue with most prolapses, is that they don't always stay in, & need to be continously pushed back inside.

Have any preperation H, or honey to reduce swelling? Swelling is what usually prevents a prolapse from staying in. Honey is also a natural antibiotic.

That's the issue with most prolapses, is that they don't always stay in, & need to be continously pushed back inside.

Have any preperation H, or honey to reduce swelling? Swelling is what usually prevents a prolapse from staying in. Honey is also a natural antibiotic.

Yes on honey and I even held it in lightly for 30" at a time in the dark so she could fall asleep and quit pulsing. I spent 6 hours Sunday eve with no success - I think because it was shredded? I will be smarter next time.

I know we aren't out of the woods but....I will keep giving her the spa treatment in our laundry room as long as she feels ok. Thanks!

I've seen folks make a sling for them using vet wrap, going above and below the vent. I don't know that it would work for your girl, but it might help. Or something like that...???

I really thought this update would not be that she's still alive. I hope she's doing well!!!

My Harriet is still alive! I couldn't put her down - she seemed comfortable. She is pooping normal and I have seen wet spots. I have been giving her one antibiotic a day, stopped soaking her (she doesn't like it), feeding her layer food and mealworms. The tissue just 'hung out' and then dried up. I have her on puppy training pad in our laundry room (Nebraska) and could see blood spots for about 4 days. No blood in the last 3 days - Last night the tissue could be broke off then cut off right up to the vent. Then I soaked her / cleaned her up so she will look 'normal' in the coop.

I'm just hoping that was her egg tubing and she won't want to lay eggs - kind of like a hysterectomy? I would love if she can just live out her days.

Today, I will see if she walks ok. I stopped the antibiotic as that is hard to give, unless someone has better ideas?

Maybe out to the coop if she does walk ok - or wait a few more days? It's so cold here.....
Well this is interesting!
When you get a chance, post some updated photos.

Getting her back outside I would say is dependent on how well she is doing, if there's still any exposed tissue that would attract picking, your weather (going from warm inside to cold outside) and how well she is accepted back into the flock. Sometimes you may need to cage a bird inside the coop/run to re-introduce them to the flock.

I've seen folks make a sling for them using vet wrap, going above and below the vent. I don't know that it would work for your girl, but it might help. Or something like that...???

I really thought this update would not be that she's still alive. I hope she's doing well!!!

Exactly, thanks. I thought of a sling but I felt like i was just pushing up tissue that would be dead eventually as it wasn't a typical prolapse. THANKS!

Well this is interesting!
When you get a chance, post some updated photos.

Getting her back outside I would say is dependent on how well she is doing, if there's still any exposed tissue that would attract picking, your weather (going from warm inside to cold outside) and how well she is accepted back into the flock. Sometimes you may need to cage a bird inside the coop/run to re-introduce them to the flock.

Thanks for this info. After the bath there is nothing left for other hens to see. We decided to let her out in the garage this evening with us and she how she walks and let her get some exercise. I also have a small coop we can put in the garage to get her adjusted to temp changes. I can use that coop outside to help re-introduce her. I let them free range in the day so I can do that a day I'm home.

Interestly enough this is one tough lady! She was nearly killed by a rooster and the wounds were beyond awful but she recovered (hence a 2nd small coop I built for her last spring). Then one day she had a limp that hasn't gone away.

I need to remember how much she has been through and give her plenty of time to heal. I hope she doesn't make an egg as that would probably be the death of her.

I truly appreciate the comments & ideas!

Attachments

• IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    437.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0570 2.jpg
    IMG_0570 2.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for this info. After the bath there is nothing left for other hens to see. We decided to let her out in the garage this evening with us and she how she walks and let her get some exercise. I also have a small coop we can put in the garage to get her adjusted to temp changes. I can use that coop outside to help re-introduce her. I let them free range in the day so I can do that a day I'm home.

Interestly enough this is one tough lady! She was nearly killed by a rooster and the wounds were beyond awful but she recovered (hence a 2nd small coop I built for her last spring). Then one day she had a limp that hasn't gone away.

I need to remember how much she has been through and give her plenty of time to heal. I hope she doesn't make an egg as that would probably be the death of her.

I truly appreciate the comments & ideas!
That's the same chicken??!?!?

Back
Top Bottom