Prolapse ? Tumor ? Something definately not good

the egg lady

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 7, 2008
I had been watching this forum for quite a while, it seems to be the only one I found who take chicken rearing seriously and not just the "IN" thing to do. I noticed today one of my comets, probably 7+ years old with this thing coming out of her vent. I caught her, soaked her for about an hour. Once the crap soaked off I saw one big thing about the size of a very large cherry and one smaller. After about 15 minutes of soaking there was a white substance that looked like the sperm that would come out of a fish. It came out thick and like a worm until it hit the bottom of the bath. It wasn't attached as I could swish the water around and it would break up. It kept coming out like a teardrop and then stretch out toward the bottom. At first I thought Prolapse but I'm not so sure. Her abdomen is big and rock hard. Not a good sign. I went to the Pharmacy got ky and prep H, applied and came in now to write you and see if anyone has an idea.
Thank you

I'm dealing with a hen with a prolapsed vent right now too. Sounds like your hen has it worse than mine though. I cleaned her up & kept her in the house a few days, putting Prep.H on her. She never seemed to be in any pain, & continued laying. I have her back in with the others now, but I'm keeping an eye on her in case she bleeds or another chicken pecks at her. I don't know how long it takes to heal, or if it ever does. It's so messy! I have to clean her rear end in the yard with the water hose.

Keep an eye on your hen. You're right, the hard stomach & the stuff coming out doesn't sound good at all. Someone may have an answer here. Hope it turns out ok!

I wonder if her pipes were clogged? Maybe the poopy butt blocked her up? I had a hen who would block up like that and DH and I were always soaking her butt and trimming the feathers around her vent. It wouldn't hurt to give her a treat, like scrambled egg or bread, with oil in it just to help clean her out. I'm leaning towards blockage because you say she has a hard abdomen, but then again, egg bound can have the same effect.
Is she laying?

I do not know if she is laying or not. I just gave her another soak and then prep H. Her abdomen is hard as a rock and hugh!!! It looks like a Frank Perdue chicken only backwards. I'm beginning to think tumor. Big tumor. The white stuff looks identical to the white is some of my other hens poop so that takes care of that mystery. She is breathing heavy but still eating and drinking. I put her in a box this am. I can tell I'll be up throughout the night just checking on her.

well i hope you find out whats wrong and get it fixed
ill be praying for you!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom