PROLAPSE UPDATE.. WHAT NOW ?

poulet

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Okay, I cleaned the area with warm water and betadine and gently pushed the lump back in . When I put her down the first thing she did was push(like as if to poo ) and it popped out again. Will this just keep happening ? I presume she will never lay anymore. will she die from this ? Is there anything else I can do?
I don't have a vet that will look at chickens near me.
I can't put a pic on as my camera is broken.

be sure to clean it and then try the prep H formulation with the witchhazel in it (just a wee bit around the vent area)

Last edited:
I had to clean and replace the prolapse several times a day for about 2 1/2 days. A dark cage was helpful to slow down her egg laying. I didn't have anything else at hand to use on the prolapse so I used honey and I will be darn, it worked!

There is hope for her, if you want to try. Some don't as it might reoccur. But my girl is still here and laying.

I had one prolapse and I had to keep cleaning her up and putting witch hazel on the prolapse and putting it back in. Keep her in a dark place to discourage egg laying too. After a day or two the prolapse stayed in and she is doing just fine today-laying eggs and all!

She is not laying , I don't know what prep H is and don't think I could get it here . Honey ? I could try that , so I just keep putting it back in ? what is the best way to clean all the poo off the area ?

Preparation H is the name brand of a hemorrhoid cream (for people!) sold here in the US. I'm sure there's some kind of French equivalent. Assuming the French get hemorrhoids too?
tongue.png
Good luck with your hen. I can't give you any advice as I haven't had to deal with a hen with a prolapse yet. I'm sure that time will come though!

Quote:
Sorry I didn't see your post yesterday. How is your hen doing? Saline solution has been advised to use for prolapse by some and is probably the best idea. You usually can find it in the section of stores that sell medical supplies. There is a formula to make your own with salt and water....I don't remember how much off the top of my head. If you try the search at the top of the page it should come up.
(edited to add dlhunicorn's great directions for saline solution) Boil 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a quart of water for 5 minutes.

Prep H should also be in that same part of the store.

I just washed my hen carefully with water until I could remove most of the fecal material. I did clip her vent feathers to make that job easier. Once it was all clean I reinserted the prolapse and used at least a tablespoon of honey. Honey has healing properties. The prep H would have been my first choice to use but I did not have any at hand.

I hope today is showing improvement in your hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom