Prolapse vent and eggbound

She finally let go of the egg during the night. And it only had a little blood on it. The eggs she laid last week had a lot more blood. It took 3 administrations of the calcium.

Yes, she definitely is still prolapsed. Its pretty bad and has been for a long time.

Should I keep treating her with calcium a couple times a week? It seems like this is helpful for her.
Is there any way you could place her in a darkened room and cut way back on her feed? Doing this will slow down her reproduction and might give the prolapse a chance to heal. I've done this with one duck and a few chickens and all went back out in the yard and are back to 100%.

Which calcium did you end up using?

-Kathy

Is there any way you could place her in a darkened room and cut way back on her feed? Doing this will slow down her reproduction and might give the prolapse a chance to heal. I've done this with one duck and a few chickens and all went back out in the yard and are back to 100%.

Which calcium did you end up using?

-Kathy
I used the liquid calcium from the feed store you recommended.

Yes, I can put her in a dark room and such. But that's what I already tried 18month-2yrs ago when this first showed up. I've tried getting it to heal when she is taking natural breaks from laying too. Its continued to stay prolapsed. I expected her to get sick and need to be put down from infection a long time ago. But she's still here amazingly enough.

Last edited:
She got egg bound again :(. And it's been 72 hours of being on calcium again. She's definitely in pain, she does not like her abdomen touched. Getting lots of warm baths. It seems a lot worse than last time. She's not moving well and kind of gives up on keeping up with the other ducks. Not much poop is coming out if any this time. It's a pretty large egg or two hard eggs I can feel backed up in her. She is all lopsided looking. I need a new suggestion. It seems like I may lose her. Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
Is there any way to get a vet's help?

Can you feel the egg near her vent?

Wondering if you might be able to gently syringe (even a turkey baster) warmed coconut oil into the vent to try to facilitate release of the egg.

Poor girl.

Is there any way to get a vet's help?

Can you feel the egg near her vent?

Wondering if you might be able to gently syringe (even a turkey baster) warmed coconut oil into the vent to try to facilitate release of the egg.

Poor girl.

vet is not an option money wise. We will just humanely end her life if there are no more options and if she doesn't act like she will recover on her own.

I can feel the hard egg pretty close to the vent, but it's kind of lodged weird on the right side.with a lubed gloved finger. I've been just apply lubricant around her vent and just inside it. I will give the warm coconut oil a try. Just right on the inside? Or should I try to go in an inch or so?

I would start with just a bit inside the vent - if a less invasive effort will work, that is what I would want to do.

I read an article that suggested that moving the duck into a warmer place, like 80F, might help.

You need to consider whether you want to follow this advice, but here is something more proactive. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091104135825AAPe3PQ

Last edited:
Is she drinking? If not, can you try to tube fluids to her? Can you fill your bathroom wih steam and leave her in there for several hours?

-Kathy

Is she drinking? If not, can you try to tube fluids to her? Can you fill your bathroom wih steam and leave her in there for several hours?

-Kathy

She is drinking but I didn't notice her eating today. She did eat yesterday though. I just put some warmed coconut oil in there. She didn't seem to mind so maybe it felt good. I tried to get it on the sides of the egg. Tomorrow morning I will bring her in for a longer time in the steamy bathroom when I can keep an eye on her. Thank you both.

It's risky, but if the choice is to do nothing and have to kill her or let her die, or to try something risky, I would do the latter. I am thinking of the syringe method - emptying the egg carefully and extracting it carefully.

Meanwhile, I would be keeping her in a dark area to keep eggs from forming and backing up.

Back
Top Bottom