prolapse with injured leg

Pied Piper

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
Hello,
I am new at raising backyard chickens and have come up with a problem. One of my hens injured her leg when she was young (couple months). A vet looked at it and thought it was a torn tendon and would heal on its own, although we did wrap to support it for a short time. The hen is now almost a year old and walks on her hock. A couple of days ago, I noticed fecal matter on her rear, so I caught her today and started pulling the dirty feathers. What I found underneath was a prolapsed rectum. I washed her up and one side of the prolapse is yellow and feels thick - kind of like a crust. First I thought it might just be dirty, but it seems to be part of the prolapse. I pushed things back inside, but it comes right back out. I have read some of the threads posted with similar problems.
I can bring her inside and keep her in a crate in the dark, although that might acclimate her to a warm temp (we're in CT) . We have a light on in the coop since it's been so cold. The main questions are, is her bad leg attributing to the prolapse since it's hard for her to get her body up off the ground? Is the yellowish tissue potentially necrotic?
Thanks for the help!

I lost an easter egger to a complete ovaduct prolapse. It might be to late. You have two choices, take her to a vet and have her fixed. this costs hundreds, if it's not too late. Or be merciful and cull her or have a vet do it. When my hen started showing symptons, I could push it back in. With every egg she laid...it got worse. One day I went to the coop and she ran to me. I knew it was bad. I took her in to my laundry area, made her a bed, and she died that night. I've been told this is a rare ocurrence and hope never to go through it again. You have my sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom