Prolapsed 1 day old chick?!?

Jkchick1

Hatching
Aug 28, 2022
Hi All,

I had a baby black Australorp chick born yesterday quite late - end of day 23 and it has a big bulge coming out of its back end. What is this?? A prolapse? If so is there anything I can do? Or should I put it down so it doesn't suffer. It's very small but is acting very healthy in all other aspects.
I will try post some pictures, sorry if there not the best.
20220828_132001.jpg

I would very much appreciate some help. Thankyou guys! 🇦🇺

It looks like an unabsorbed yolk sac to me, but it can also be gastroschisis (intestines spilling out). If it's a yolk sac it should dry up like a raisin and fall off. Also see this thread and the photo of @AmyLynn2374

Just before a chick hatches from an egg, it 'absorbs' the yolk sac through the navel. Once the yolk sac is fully absorbed, the navel immediately begins to heal and dries out. However, if chicks are unable to fully absorb the yolk sac before hatching (or are helped out of the egg before they were meant to hatch), they will have an attached mass apparent on the outside of their bodies, which is the unabsorbed yolk sac.

Hi All,

I had a baby black Australorp chick born yesterday quite late - end of day 23 and it has a big bulge coming out of its back end. What is this?? A prolapse? If so is there anything I can do? Or should I put it down so it doesn't suffer. It's very small but is acting very healthy in all other aspects.
I will try post some pictures, sorry if there not the best. View attachment 3238600
I would very much appreciate some help. Thankyou guys! 🇦🇺
its an unabsorbed yolk sac. No need to put it down, this isnt anything unfixable.
Baby was just a little premature for some reason, was she assisted?
Do you have an incubator? Put some paper towels into a cup, nice and comfy, like a nest, and put her into it. Then put the cup in the incubator and check on her every couple hours. The yolk sac should shrink and shrink and dry up until there is nothing left. Based on the size of the yolk I'd say it'll take about a day, maybe a little longer.

It's important she is kept clean, to prevent infection, and kept away from the other chicks so that they dont peck at it. She should be fine, let us know how she does.

Unrelated to the yolk--- does her vent (above the yellow yolk sac in the photo, closer to her tail) look okay- clear, no dried faeces on it? Just looks a little enlarged in the photo but that could be an illusion. Hard to tell, I'm using a rubbish phone right now so the photo is unclear.

Hi Defazzy and BelovedBirds,

Unfortunately the poor thing passed away last night, it was half the size of its siblings, just wasn't meant to be I guess😥

But I just wanna say thankyou so for taking the time to write such long detailed responses to my question, so fast too. That meant alot to me and was really helpful being so new to this.
Hope you guys have lots of success with your chickens! Thankyou again 🙂🐣🐥

Hi Defazzy and BelovedBirds,

Unfortunately the poor thing passed away last night, it was half the size of its siblings, just wasn't meant to be I guess😥

But I just wanna say thankyou so for taking the time to write such long detailed responses to my question, so fast too. That meant alot to me and was really helpful being so new to this.
Hope you guys have lots of success with your chickens! Thankyou again 🙂🐣🐥
Im sorry for your loss! :(
Sounds like this one just wasnt built to thrive.
Best of luck with your other chicks

Back
Top Bottom