Prolapsed chicken

ShaylaJ

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
Hello, a few days ago we found one of our chickens (Tiffany) with some tissue outside the vent which we have concluded is a prolapse. We gave her an epsom salt bath and cleaned the area the best we could with a clean cloth. We tried to put the tissue back inside a few times but it just wouldn't stay in so we put her in a kennel with straw for the night to try and calm her down. Unfortunately in the morning she was still pushing so we did not try and put it back in. We have her out in an enclosure by herself on straw so she is not getting pecked and so she has more room. I have been giving her 10 minute epsom salt baths twice a day and after the bath I put hydrocortisone and Bactine first aid spray on the tissue. It has developed a scab but it is looking like it will fall off naturally soon. From the first day we found it, I think it is smaller but not dramatically. I have seen that she is still able to poop but just little bits and there is a white substance that keeps coming out on the tissue (we were thinking it is pee). We also let her in the coop for a few minutes with supervision and she went right to the nest box even though she hasn't laid in a long time because she is an older chicken.

I have also been trying to do some research and I found out that it can be a prolapse caused by an egg or it could be a cloaca prolapse. I have never heard of the types so I was wondering how you know what kind of prolapse it is?

If anyone has suggestion or advice on what else we can do or anything please please please let me know! Thank you!

Last edited:
How is Tiffany doing?
She is doing ok. We gave her a soak and the scab looks like it will come off soon and we are getting some calcium citrate to give her because I have heard that will help. She did peck a little at it so it was bleeding a tiny bit. I'm a bit worried about that but I will keep cleaning her twice a day until the scab goes away and hopefully that won't be a big problem. If you have any advice or suggestion that would be greatly appreciated! Tiffany is such a sweet chicken so I really want things to turn out alright.

She is doing ok. We gave her a soak and the scab looks like it will come off soon and we are getting some calcium citrate to give her because I have heard that will help. She did peck a little at it so it was bleeding a tiny bit. I'm a bit worried about that but I will keep cleaning her twice a day until the scab goes away and hopefully that won't be a big problem. If you have any advice or suggestion that would be greatly appreciated! Tiffany is such a sweet chicken so I really want things to turn out alright.
Could you get a picture?

Could you get a picture?
Just went out to get a picture and she has pecked it a but more. and she has been kind of shaking now too. Sorry in advance the picture is pretty gross

Attachments

•   .png
    .png
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Just went out to get a picture and she has pecked it a but more. and she has been kind of shaking now too. Sorry in advance the picture is pretty gross
It is a prolapse.
Keep doing the treatment your doing.
Try and hold the tissue in for a couple minutes, try that a couple of times and see if it helps. I've seem worse cases of prolapse here on BYC, hers isn't too bad.
Here's an article.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

It is a prolapse.
Keep doing the treatment your doing.
Try and hold the tissue in for a couple minutes, try that a couple of times and see if it helps. I've seem worse cases of prolapse here on BYC, hers isn't too bad.
Here's an article.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
ok thank you so much! do you think that trying to hold it in will be really stressful for her? she doesn't seem to be that stressed but I do notice her kind of shaking a little during the baths

ok thank you so much! do you think that trying to hold it in will be really stressful for her? she doesn't seem to be that stressed but I do notice her kind of shaking a little during the baths
Just holding it in shouldn't stress her out, just make sure to be gentle.
Is she shaking because she's cold? When you give her a bath just try to get her vent area wet, that's the only place that needs bathing.

Last edited:
Just holding it in shouldn't stress her out, just make sure to be gentle.
Is she shaking because she's cold? When you give her a bath just try to get her vent area wet, that's the only place that need bathing.
I have been making the baths warm but I guess you might be right. Thank you again for you help

Back
Top Bottom