Prolapsed cocclia?

lleeme

Chirping
Apr 21, 2022
Water Valley, MS
I have one hen with a poopy butt, so I caught her this morning to clean it up and found her cochlea <sp> was outside. Is this from starining to get past poopiness or another issue.

I cleaned it and tried to gently push back in but I think there is an egg on its way. I have placed her in a cage on the porch to keep an eye on her, but not sure if the roo who sleeps in it at night will mind.

She is laying, got her in a cackle surprise box hatched 6/1/22. Not sure the breed, if someone could tell me it would be nice to know. As far as I know she is eating and drinking just fine. TIA

Attachments

• 20230325_083149.jpg
    20230325_083149.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Cloaca. That's what the little vestibule just inside the vent is called. When it is pushed out from straining to pass an egg or more rarely, poop, it's call vent prolapse.

Try giving her a calcium tablet, the sort women take for strong bones. It will cause contractions and help her push out the egg.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

More info on treating prolapse and egg binding. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Cloaca. That's what the little vestibule just inside the vent is called. When it is pushed out from straining to pass an egg or more rarely, poop, it's call vent prolapse.

Try giving her a calcium tablet, the sort women take for strong bones. It will cause contractions and help her push out the egg. View attachment 3443726

More info on treating prolapse and egg binding. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
Stick it in her mouth and make her swallow?

Be sure to keep her prolapse from drying out by applying one of the following to her vent:
hydrocortisone cream, honey, sugar paste with a couple of drops of water, vaseline, or other nontoxic oil. Keep trying to gently push it back in, but it might not stay in for a few days.

Thanks everyone. The calcium didn't work last night but I put antibiotic ointment on it. By this morning it was back inside, still no egg and her feathers were really messy. Had her soak her but in Epsom salt water, and gave her another calcium pill. She laid the egg before we left for church. Will keep her on the porch a few more days.

Back
Top Bottom