Prolapsed duck penis HELP!!

danegal2

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
My male Rouen as I have discovered this morning, has a prolapsed penis. I thought it was just poop stuck to him, so after a couple of days still hanging there, I took a look. When I went to clean him I noticed the middle part is purple, but the base is nice and pink. I have him inside away from the other ducks and not sure what to do now.
Is there a way for me to castrate the dead part?

Well, I have been giving my boy daily baths and keeping him inside. He has retracted the healthy part back in, but the rest is sloughing off. The tip looks like it needs to come off. I'm slowly debriding the dead tissue. Not sure what else to do for the poor guy.

I can't use epsom salt in the bath because it's not good for the septic tank. Once I get an assistant to hold my drake I'm going to take all the scabbing off. Everyone is grossed out knowing that I need help with my ducks penis. Poor Guy!! He keeps trying to tuck it back in, but to no avail.
what about in a plastic tote, then dump it outside?

My male Rouen as I have discovered this morning, has a prolapsed penis. I thought it was just poop stuck to him, so after a couple of days still hanging there, I took a look. When I went to clean him I noticed the middle part is purple, but the base is nice and pink. I have him inside away from the other ducks and not sure what to do now.
Is there a way for me to castrate the dead part?
I would not cut. Let a vet do that if needed. Try letting him soak in luke warm water for a while that my help with swelling then after he comes out spread vaseline or ky jelly or prep H on it to help lube it up to see if it will go back in on it's own or try to push it back in yourself. Best thing you did was bring him in and keep him away from everyone right now.

I'm giving him a luke warm bath right now which he is enjoying. Once it is really clean I can have a better look at it.

Well, I have been giving my boy daily baths and keeping him inside. He has retracted the healthy part back in, but the rest is sloughing off. The tip looks like it needs to come off. I'm slowly debriding the dead tissue. Not sure what else to do for the poor guy.
Sounds like your doing all you can . You def don't want him to be mating with any females for quite some time.

I'm dealing with the same issue with my Pekin drake right now! Poor guy! There's about an inch showing, and he keeps wagging his tail to make it go back in, to no avail. I gave him a bath this morning, and will do so again this afternoon when I get home. Advice is most welcomed!

I'm dealing with the same issue with my Pekin drake right now!  Poor guy!  There's about an inch showing, and he keeps wagging his tail to make it go back in, to no avail.  I gave him a bath this morning, and will do so again this afternoon when I get home.  Advice is most welcomed!

I was told prep-H and cold compress and try pushing it back in after the Bulbus goes down.....

Back
Top Bottom