Prolapsed hen, still a ready egg inside

Jun 14, 2021
Germany
Hi all,

This morning, I found one of our hens had a prolapse issue. I already handled it according to the procedure and let her stay in a dark sick bay for rest, after cleaning the vent area.

The question is, when I tried to push the tissue back into her body, I can feel there is an egg that would come out later. Is it correct to just leave her there? I guess, after laying the eggs, the tissue might come out again. She is an 18-month-old leghorn and laid bigger eggs several times in the past.

What I am going to do is:
1. giving her daily bath, checking and cleaning the vent area
2. keeping her in a dark environment to stop her from laying
3. changing feed (I have a lower protein whole-grain feed) and adding calcium powder

Please correct me if there is something wrong or missing, and feel free to comment.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The prolapse is because she's straining to push the egg out. After the egg is out, the prolapse will resolve.

She needs at least 600mg of calcium for it to help with contractions to push out the egg that is obviously the cause of prolapse.

What for is the powder? Is it calcium carbonate or some other form? Calcium citrate is the best form of calcium to use in a reproductive crisis because it works very fast.

The prolapse is because she's straining to push the egg out. After the egg is out, the prolapse will resolve.

She needs at least 600mg of calcium for it to help with contractions to push out the egg that is obviously the cause of prolapse.

What for is the powder? Is it calcium carbonate or some other form? Calcium citrate is the best form of calcium to use in a reproductive crisis because it works very fast.
Thanks for the reply, she already laid the egg and the prolapse looks better now.
I grind the one calcium tablet (1500.0 mg Calcium carbonate 600.0 mg Calcium Ion) and mixed it in her food.

Back
Top Bottom