Prolapsed oviduct?! I JUST REMOVED IT!

Also, every few seconds her vent makes a wet, "wheezing" type sound. Her sister too, but not the other hen.

That doesn’t look like vent gleet, but a normal moving vent with white urates built up. Urates are chicken urine (uric acid crystals.) They can cake up a little. You can clean it off with some mild soap and water. Vent gleet is where the vent is bare, red, and may have yellow or white patches of fungal infection. There is a very bad odor, and droppings may leak constantly. It is treated with antifungal medicine orally and creams used topically.

That makes sense. Okay, then yes, in that case, I don’t think it’s gleet either, just based on this thread. So if it’s just urate buildup, what am I doing wrong/can I do to help?

That doesn’t look like vent gleet, but a normal moving vent with white urates built up. Urates are chicken urine (uric acid crystals.) They can cake up a little. You can clean it off with some mild soap and water. Vent gleet is where the vent is bare, red, and may have yellow or white patches of fungal infection. There is a very bad odor, and droppings may leak constantly. It is treated with antifungal medicine orally and creams used topically.
My bad. I'm still learning. Didn't mean to confuse.

Back
Top Bottom