Prolapsed . . . something

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
I'm not sure if this is in the correct spot, as I have already disposed of the chicken so it is no longer an emergency.
I have seen prolapses in other animals, so I assumed this was a case of it in a chicken. I've done a search and been to the library, but I can't find any pictures of what I saw and was wondering if anyone could direct me to some sites with good pics of prolapses. I regret not thinking to take pictures.
Am I correct in assuming it's best to humanely dispatch a prolapsed chicken? From experience I know it is difficult to keep a prolapse from recurring, particularly in small creatures, and I can't imagine that a chicken would fare well with this.
The prolapse was not an organ hanging out, it was more as though the lining had turned inside out. It was about the length of my pinkie finger, shaped like one of those wiggle worms, and she was pooping out of it. The hen did not seem unduly distressed, but I've noticed several animals act normally with a prolapse. It was certainly an odd thing to see.

Sounds like a prolapse. I hear that it is often reoccurring even though it can be treatable and there are many success stories where it has been fixed and the birds do fine. However I don't think it's a trait you want to keep in your breeding lines.

That just happened to one of my chicks last night. She was also bleeding from the picky area and the beak. I think it is a prolapsed anus. I have no idea what could have caused it. I brought her into the house to keep warm but she died overnight.

The prolapse was not an organ hanging out, it was more as though the lining had turned inside out. It was about the length of my pinkie finger, shaped like one of those wiggle worms, and she was pooping out of it. The hen did not seem unduly distressed, but I've noticed several animals act normally with a prolapse. It was certainly an odd thing to see.

This is typical of what you would see in a prolapse...it is quite common in young birds and they often "grow" out of it ...in an older bird however where larger eggs are an issue it is sometimes best to cull (as the bird ages the eggs get larger and reduction in egg size is not likely to happen...)
Often there are nutritional or environmental stressors involved which you will need to correct. There is no one cut and dried cause and genetics are rarely involved.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom