Prolapsed Vent - Can't fix--Need Advice

IslaBean

Songster
5 Years
Jul 19, 2017
Hi! I have a chicken with a prolapsed vent. It is in extremely bad condition. I was up all night trying to push everything back into her, but I will not go back in. I have done a lot of research on this, and I haven't seen one in as bad condition as her online. Is there anything I can do. Or is culling my only option? Thank you

It's a decision that only you can make, but if the prolapse is that significant and difficult to reduce, I would cull her.

It's a decision that only you can make, but if the prolapse is that significant and difficult to reduce, I would cull her.
Are there any prolapsing tricks I don't already know? I've given her a warm bath and I have tried to push everything back in, but she just pushes it right back out. I have her in the dark because I don't want her laying eggs. Will she be able to survive a little bit in this condition?

Sometimes cool cloths coated with sugar can reduce the swelling. Stitches can sometimes keep the prolapse in. If it stays out it is likely to become dried out and necrotic.

Hi! I have a chicken with a prolapsed vent. It is in extremely bad condition. I was up all night trying to push everything back into her, but I will not go back in. I have done a lot of research on this, and I haven't seen one in as bad condition as her online. Is there anything I can do. Or is culling my only option? Thank you

Are there any prolapsing tricks I don't already know? I've given her a warm bath and I have tried to push everything back in, but she just pushes it right back out. I have her in the dark because I don't want her laying eggs. Will she be able to survive a little bit in this condition?
How is she doing?
Can you please post some photos?

If the tissue is really swollen it may not go back in, so you will need to keep it moist with an anti-inflammatory cream, honey, prep H...whatever you have on hand.
Get some calcium into her and keep her hydrated. Caltrate or Tums, whatever you have.

Sometimes a prolapse can't be fixed and the hen will need to be put down. Been there, so don't beat yourself up if it comes to that.

Warm epsom salts soaks are fine if she's not lethargy.

Even if you have her in the dark, she may still lay eggs for a while, it takes time to stop the process. She would need total darkness for 16 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom