Prolapsed vent - chicken screaming

Do you have a wal mart or pharmacy nearby? They should have Epsom salt.
We don’t live in the US, but in a tiny country in Europe. None of the pharmacies have Epsom here, but it’s possible to order it from some speciality stores. Unfortunately most of the products discussed in this forum are not available here :(

Calcium citrate is the key to treating vent prolapse. Get some as quickly as you can and give her at least 550mg per day until the prolapse resolves.

Prolapse is caused by an obstruction. Her body is trying to expel it. It may be an egg, a collapsed egg or other tissue. The calcium citrate works quickly to encourage contractions so she can expel it.
Thank you!! We gave her right now a mix of calcium, magnesium and D3 that we had at home until I can bring the calcium citrate.

Epsom salts are merely to soothe the inflamed tissues. It's not necessary in resolving the prolapse. Long soaks are also not necessary. Brief sponging of the soiled prolapse is all that is needed, as the discharge accumulates. This discharge is often quite smelly and sponging it off with witch hazel or warm water with some mild soap is sufficient.

I don't know much about chickens, but have had birds die due to being egg-bound. Is it possible that she is in pain because she can't release the eggs inside her due to the prolapse?

I don't know much about chickens, but have had birds die due to being egg-bound. Is it possible that she is in pain because she can't release the eggs inside her due to the prolapse?
She will still be able to release the egg or tissue, but the swollen tissue of the prolapse does make it a little more difficult. Prolapse is one of the most urgent crises a hen can face. If the egg is intact and overlarge, it can lodge in the cloaca. This is often a death warrant as it cuts off the poop.

This condition also blocks the ceca which supply fluids to all of the body tissues, and prolonging this condition results in dehydration which can put strain on the heart. Along with dehydration, if calcium were not given, it increases the risk of heart attack.

She will still be able to release the egg or tissue, but the swollen tissue of the prolapse does make it a little more difficult. Prolapse is one of the most urgent crises a hen can face. If the egg is intact and overlarge, it can lodge in the cloaca. This is often a death warrant as it cuts off the poop.

This condition also blocks the ceca which supply fluids to all of the body tissues, and prolonging this condition results in dehydration which can put strain on the heart. Along with dehydration, if calcium were not given, it increases the risk of heart attack.
Thank you, that was super informative. I just got chickens this year and they aren't old enough to lay yet, but being forewarned of any complications is always good.

Epsom salts is also called magnesium sulfate, and is used as a foot soak and used to be used as a strong laxative. It may be found in grocery stores. A warm soak with a little soap may be almost as good, but the magnesium in the water has healing and drawing power. Just make sure the exposed prolapse is kept moist with whatever ointment or cream you prefer, so that it does not dry out. Do you have a picture of the prolapse?

I constantly urge chicken keepers to keep a bottle of calcium citrate handy in their runs. When you see a laying hen suddenly go lethargic, even a young new layer, fluffed up, standing still as if in a trance, tail often held in a down position, it can be a sign of impending egg binding.

A calcium tablet given immediately directly into the beak can hasten contractions and get the egg out before prolapse occurs. No telling how many cases of egg binding this has avoided in my flock.

Even if I'm not 100% certain it's an egg issue, I give the calcium. It won't hurt anything if I'm wrong, and can head off so much grief if I'm right.

Calcium citrate is the key to treating vent prolapse. Get some as quickly as you can and give her at least 550mg per day until the prolapse resolves.

Prolapse is caused by an obstruction. Her body is trying to expel it. It may be an egg, a collapsed egg or other tissue. The calcium citrate works quickly to encourage contractions so she can expel it.

Back
Top Bottom