Prolapsed vent for about a week, feeling like outcome is not good :(

candira

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
Lexington, Texas
I have a cuckoo marans hen who is about 8 months old. She is one of my favorites and a good layer. Last week I noticed she was prolapsed and had quite a bit sticking out of her vent. I took her inside washed her backside and with a glove, put some preperation H in and around her vent and pushed it back in. I put her in a kennel inside the shed where it is dark so she would stop laying. She DOES NOT like being in there, she fights to get back out and it pushes her vent back out. Anyway, I pushes it back in a few times and after 3 days it was in and she looked good. I put her back with the other chickens and after about 10 minutes, it was out again. So I seperated her again. She isn't egg bound bc she has laid 3 or 4 eggs since then even though I have her in the dark. Today I looked and she is prolapsed again and has thin white discharge which is probably poop or pee. I called the vet today to see if there was anything he or I could do to save her and he said I did what he would have done. So I'm on here just asking if anyone has had a similar experience and if they were able to save their chicken. I don't want to cull her, but I'm afraid I have no other choice. I'm feeling pretty down today wondering what to do for her. Or how I will bring myself to kill her. If she won't get better though, I know she's not happy being in that kennel and I don't want the other chickens to hurt her. Is it too late? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

I think some vets will do a purse string suture to hold in the prolapse until it heals, but prolapse can always recur. You might just see how she does with releasing her, and try to push it back in every day. I had 2 sisters who prolapsed the same day, and I kept pushing them back in. They kept straining when I would pick them up to do something. Finally, I just left them alone, and they relaxed enough to stop. That may not be the case with yoiur hen, but I hope she gets better. Sometimes hens just don't survive with prolapse, but you do what you can to try and help them.

Ok, I'm going to try what your suggesting. I don't want to lose her, so I think i should give this a try. I will just keep a good eye on her to make sure no one starts pecking at her prolapse. Because just like your saying when I pick her up she starts straining, and it pops back out. It's gotten better and worse. Then seemed fixed, back to worse. Anythings worth a try now. My veterinarian didn't mention any kind of suture they could do and I even asked bc I figured they could do some sort of internal stitch. But he said no. Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom