Prolapsed vent??? HELP!

No sweat on the supplemental heat during a weather crisis, especially if your chickens are used to much warmer temps. Chickens in regularly freezing areas are acclimatized to it, but there's no shame in helping chickens living in otherwise moderate climates get through these dangerous temperature dives.

Try not to keep the hen away from the flock any longer than is necessary as it's going to require her to endure confrontations with the others once she reappears suddenly. Blu-kote painted on all open sores and naked skin can neutralize the attraction to the others to peck her bottom parts. A protective enclosure or a crate in the run where she's safe would be a better idea than segregation.

A small patch of naked skin isn't going to put her at any significant risk for freezing while she's roosting at night.

Thanks, I wasn’t planning on using heat, but it’s just so darn cold here!

She’s in the crate in the coop so the other chickens can still see her etc but yes as soon as she’s feeling better I will put her back out with them :)

Will buy the blu-kote tomorrow and apply that too!

Hi again,

So I’ve kept her in her little cage the last few days. Put blu-kote on yesterday and her vent is looking pretty good. Today I let her out with the other birds and observed her and it seems the other girls are still wanting to peck her bottom. How long should I keep her in her own area for this to stop?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 7D5DF239-1926-4AFE-8ADE-456227B2A685.jpeg
    7D5DF239-1926-4AFE-8ADE-456227B2A685.jpeg
    521.8 KB · Views: 4
I think they will peck her raw again, and it could get worse. I’d crate her WITH the flock. Do you know who all is pecking her? If it’s just one, you might consider crating the pecker instead.

She’s been crated with the rest of them around (in the coop / run where they spend their time).

She was just so miserable in there I felt awful lol. There’s at least two that are pecking her (maybe three).

It hasn’t been all that bad, it’s really just occasional pecks. I’ve left her out and am monitoring her but if too many feathers start to disappear I’ll just recrate her. I just don’t know how long she will need to stay in there for them to stop. :(

She may need to regrow those feathers before they completely leave it alone. Certainly while there are scabs she is liable to get pecked. The problem with 'occasional pecks' is it only takes one to draw blood and that will cause a feeding frenzy. I would keep her separate as you are - a crate within the coop, until the scabs heal over. That shouldn't take too long at all.

You might want to coat her vent area with some pine tar to keep them from pecking her. It is sticky and tastes bad, and is an old time remedy that will allow her vent to heal. Apply it as often as necessary to keep her bent protected. I would spend some time watching for the bullies. Here is a link for the dark pine tar:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P7JMEI/?tag=backy-20

You might want to coat her vent area with some pine tar to keep them from pecking her. It is sticky and tastes bad, and is an old time remedy that will allow her vent to heal. Apply it as often as necessary to keep her bent protected. I would spend some time watching for the bullies. Here is a link for the dark pine tar:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P7JMEI/?tag=backy-20

Awesome thank you. I bought pick-no-more but that doesn’t seem to be do anything. They aren’t pecking her skin or vent, just the feathers around it.

I have put her back in her crate but have a few more questions. Does she need a nest box in there? I currently have a little cardboard box in there for her if she wants to lay but it takes up over half the crate lol. She has her food, water, and a little roosting bar.

This is her backside today (pics), it appears the sores have mostly scabbed up, so should I wait till her feathers start coming in to let her back with the rest of the flock?

Attachments

• 0672CA61-BEEF-4B08-83CC-243C7E1DBD31.jpeg
    0672CA61-BEEF-4B08-83CC-243C7E1DBD31.jpeg
    611.4 KB · Views: 3
  • B15E39CD-E348-44E7-863B-5A2BEDD11533.jpeg
    B15E39CD-E348-44E7-863B-5A2BEDD11533.jpeg
    576.9 KB · Views: 3
If you get the pine tar, you might just try her with the flock. The longer she is separated the worse it may be to get them to accept her. They sell cheaper pine tars at Tractor Supply, but after some reading the brand that I posted is supposed to be more dark and thick as the old fashioned pine tar used to be. It has healing properties. If you (or a friend) have Amazon Prime, the shipping is free.

My hens will lay in a crate without a nest box. I would provide some extra bedding for her to lay. Or you could put the box in there and remove it with each egg.

Back
Top Bottom