Prolapsed vent in one week old chick?

agb1135

Hatching
May 23, 2015
Help! Received my first chicks this last week and today during a pasty butt check, noticed that one of them has what appears to be a prolapsed vent. It's red, inflamed and a little bloody. I toop a wet q-tip and cleaned it then used a q-tip with some coconut oil (it was all I had on hand) to massage the area a little and she pooped (normal poop, not bloody or anything) and then I used the q-tip to sort of push the vent back into place. Checked her again about 90 minutes later and it was protruding and a little bloody again. Repeated the same steps and she pooped a little but now I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do? I haven't really heard of vent prolapses happening in chicks this young (1 week tomorrow) so could it be something else? She's running around the brooder, eating and drinking and seems to be fine except for this but I'm worried it'll progress into something worse. I took these photos just now after I cleaned it the second time. I'd appreciate any input or advise!

Help! Received my first chicks this last week and today during a pasty butt check, noticed that one of them has what appears to be a prolapsed vent. It's red, inflamed and a little bloody. I toop a wet q-tip and cleaned it then used a q-tip with some coconut oil (it was all I had on hand) to massage the area a little and she pooped (normal poop, not bloody or anything) and then I used the q-tip to sort of push the vent back into place. Checked her again about 90 minutes later and it was protruding and a little bloody again. Repeated the same steps and she pooped a little but now I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do? I haven't really heard of vent prolapses happening in chicks this young (1 week tomorrow) so could it be something else? She's running around the brooder, eating and drinking and seems to be fine except for this but I'm worried it'll progress into something worse. I took these photos just now after I cleaned it the second time. I'd appreciate any input or advise!
Oh gee, poor little thing. I've never heard of it either, but I have heard of people using PrepH on prolasped vents to reduce the swelling. That's on hens, I don't know if there would be any ill effects on chicks.

Back
Top Bottom