Prolapsed vent- Seems infected

fmh

Chirping
Apr 3, 2018
I have a hen (Isa Brown) who has a prolapsed vent. Didn't catch it until this morning, but it must have happened awhile ago but she has very nice vent feathers that must have hid it until it got infected and the other chickens have pecked at it. I think she has pus leaking that is drying on her feathers and looks white. I've separated her from the others, bathed her, put honey on the area, and tried (gently) to push it back in as I've seen recommended, but I think it is just too much of a problem now for any easy fixes. Now it has turned black and is leaking a nasty green and a clear discharge. I don't think she is able to poop or pass an egg at all, so she is suffering. We may have to euthanize her- but is there anything else that may help?

Hi @fmh :frow Welcome to BYC

So sorry that you joined under such sad circumstances.
How is your hen?
Can you post some photos of the prolapse and surrounding tissue?

From your description, I would agree with you, it sounds like she has an infection. Do you have vet care?

Is she not pooping at all? Do you think she has an egg stuck inside the prolapse?

When prolapsed are found late like this, especially when they may have been pecked or become infected, it may be best to put the hen down rather than let her suffer.

When prolapse tissue is exposed to air, it dries out and can become necrotic or dead. Then the vent will not function normally. Infection or even maggot infestation is common. Sorry about your hen.

I’m so sorry to hear that. I went through prolapsed vent about eight months ago and is how I became a member of backyard chickens. I feared her was infected 2 and gave her an antibiotic called LA-200. But hers if it was infected was only slightly and I did that out of precaution because I had some white discharge but not green. I am so sorry to hear about that. How is she now. Oh .... and thanks eggsessive. You were a big help along with others when we went thru this

Thanks for your help, we decided to put her down because was suffering and it was just getting worse. She was pretty old and the vet isn't really an option. Now I know to watch for this in the others too so we can catch it before it is too late!

Back
Top Bottom