Prolapsed vent, sub-zero temps ---where to keep the chicken?

chickadeedoodah

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
littleton co
Hi,
I have a hen who I found this evening out sitting outside in the freezing cold on her outside roost, rather than in the coop. I'm in Colorado and we are experiencing sub-zero temps. I picked her up to put her in the coop with the 4 other hens and she had a partial egg (soft shell) frozen to her vent. I brought her inside and was able to wash off the egg and dry her. She has what looked kinda like chicken hemohrroids. I put her in a crate with old towels with a heavy comforter over it in our unheated bar/sunroom. I looked at pics on here and it looks like the pics of a prolapsed vent. I gently pushed it back inside her and put Prep H on it, as that was the advice I read. I hope it was the right thing to do.

My question is... Do I leave her in the unheated bar room or bring her in the house? I don't want to shock her with heat when she has been outside in the cold. For the last few days it has been super cold. (I do have a reptile heat lamp hanging in the coop that I only turn on when it is really cold.) But, I also do not want to stress her any further. I don't want to put her back in the coop tonight just need to know what would be less stressful for her.
She is my sweetest hen (doesn't it figure!)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Carol

you did great
thumbsup.gif

as long as she has food and water in the crate she should be fine in the unheated room as long as its not drafty.

try to keep her in a darkened room for a few days or keep the crate from getting a lot of light to slow down her laying cycle and hopefully she will heal.

I had to bring in a sick hen and put her in an unheated room within the house (around 55 deg) or a basement would be ood too. Definately should be warmer than freezing to help her heal.

Sounds like you are doing all you can do with her prolapse issue.

Good luck!!

Thank you both so much for the quick advice. I'll keep her where she is then and keep her covered so the crate is dark (with food and water, of course) for a few days. Again, thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom