Prolapsed vent

Nugget_91

Songster
5 Years
Apr 7, 2018
Swansea/South Wales
IMG_20200406_182504.jpg

My hens have been fine all day but I went to check on them just now and noticed one of the hens has a prolapsed vent. What is the best remedy for this?

Last edited:
I can't feel much there but she's a little flustered so she won't let me check her for too long.
In the photo she's only prolapsed a very small amount - I fear she may have an egg or even a soft shell egg she's trying to pass.
Is she used to handling? I would try not to stress her too much - being flustered is stressed.
How long has she been like that?
If not long, then I would give her a bit of time to see if she can expel the egg (if there is one).
I like to give my extra calcium - you can crush 1 Tums and sprinkle it on a bit of scrambled egg, see that she's drinking. (hydration is important)

IF that comes out further or if she's getting picked on, then take her up, feel inside the vent for an egg and if she's alert, you can soak her in a warm epsom salts bath. If she becomes lethargic, place her in a steamed up bathroom or on a heating pad set on low instead.

In the photo she's only prolapsed a very small amount - I fear she may have an egg or even a soft shell egg she's trying to pass.
Is she used to handling? I would try not to stress her too much - being flustered is stressed.
How long has she been like that?
If not long, then I would give her a bit of time to see if she can expel the egg (if there is one).
I like to give my extra calcium - you can crush 1 Tums and sprinkle it on a bit of scrambled egg, see that she's drinking. (hydration is important)

IF that comes out further or if she's getting picked on, then take her up, feel inside the vent for an egg and if she's alert, you can soak her in a warm epsom salts bath. If she becomes lethargic, place her in a steamed up bathroom or on a heating pad set on low instead.
Thanks for your help @Wyorp Rock she's only been like it for the past hour or two it's now dark where I am and the other hens arent bothered by her. So do you think it's worth leaving until the morning or shall I bring her in and keep an eye on her?

It's up to you, but if that tissue is still exposed, then I would bring her in - you don't want another hen to pick at that and damage it. The tissue does need to be kept moist as well.
I don't know what you have - you can use coconut oil, honey, vaseline (petroleum jelly), etc. to keep that tissue moist.

I'm sure you will check on her periodically, watch to see if she's able to poop. Hopefully that will reduce soon.

It's up to you, but if that tissue is still exposed, then I would bring her in - you don't want another hen to pick at that and damage it. The tissue does need to be kept moist as well.
I don't know what you have - you can use coconut oil, honey, vaseline (petroleum jelly), etc. to keep that tissue moist.

I'm sure you will check on her periodically, watch to see if she's able to poop. Hopefully that will reduce soon.
Thanks for your help I will bring her in and apply some honey to the tissue and keep an eye on her. Hopefully it will reduce by the morning.

Back
Top Bottom