Prolapsed vent

IMG_20200406_215947.jpg

@Wyorp Rock you were right it was an unformed egg that had got stuck inside her. Thanks for your help, I will keep her in tonight just to keep an eye on her.

View attachment 2077997
@Wyorp Rock you were right it was an unformed egg that had got stuck inside her. Thanks for your help, I will keep her in tonight just to keep an eye on her.
Keep watch for egg yolk to dribble out. You might want to keep giving calciumfor a couple more days to be sure she's expelled all the egg material. It's rare that there is no yolk, even in a shell-less egg.

If she doesn't expel all the yolk, there's danger of infection.
Glad she was able to expel that.
I do agree with @azygous watch to see if she expels more - something like yolk and whites.
I see in your first post she may have some expelled already, hard to tell - she may have while she was still outside, but it's worth watching her for a few days.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

If there's still egg material inside her, she will likely still be acting poorly. Also, if there's a steady dribble of clear fluid coming from her vent, it's a sign there's most likely still material that she is trying to expel. I suggest you line up an antibiotic in case you need to start her on it. The longer this takes to get the rest of the egg out, the higher the danger of infection from the yolk incubating bacteria.

Remember, calcium helps her have strong contractions, making it easier for her to get the rest of the egg out.

Use granulated sugar. Applying it to the tissue will help absorb water and cause the tissue to shrink. Allow it to sit for 10 min or so before gently pushing it back inside.
This had been done forever on livestock although I have not needed to do it personally.

If there's still egg material inside her, she will likely still be acting poorly. Also, if there's a steady dribble of clear fluid coming from her vent, it's a sign there's most likely still material that she is trying to expel. I suggest you line up an antibiotic in case you need to start her on it. The longer this takes to get the rest of the egg out, the higher the danger of infection from the yolk incubating bacteria.

Remember, calcium helps her have strong contractions, making it easier for her to get the rest of the egg out.
I agree. They do act poorly if there is still egg material inside, that can sure cause infection.

I'm guessing the OP would need to see a vet for antibiotics since they are in Wales, but maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom