Prolapsed vent

You can give her 1/2 of an 81mg aspirin twice a day for up to 3 days.
The calcium, I would give once a day for 2-3 days.

She very well could prolapse worse if she lays an egg, if she's a good layer, then she may be forming one now. It takes a while for them to stop laying after you start limiting their light.

Please keep me posted on how she's doing.
Will they just eat the aspirin if crushed up some/what is best way to give in your experience?
How long do you think each soak should last? Is the easiest way to use a plastic tote and put water level up to that area? I don't want to get her toooooo wet as I am worried about her drying off well afterwards. Don't want to cause any other skin issues due to that. Yeah, worried about her laying and making it worse. :( Trying to figure out how to best limit her light. If cover when first light till home from work it is about 10 or 11 hours..then she would only have a few hours of natural light before sunset. Could leave sunroom light on etc but hate to throw off her natural schedule. Maybe I am overthinking this lol.
Sure do miss my fiance all the time...but also during this stuff as he would help me doctor up-sometimes hard with only one set of hands lol. Thanks again, you are very kind.

Last edited:
Will they just eat the aspirin if crushed up some/what is best way to give in your experience?
How long do you think each soak should last? Is the easiest way to use a plastic tote and put water level up to that area? I don't want to get her toooooo wet as I am worried about her drying off well afterwards. Don't want to cause any other skin issues due to that. Yeah, worried about her laying and making it worse. :( Trying to figure out how to best limit her light. If cover when first light till home from work it is about 10 or 11 hours..then she would only have a few hours of natural light before sunset. Could leave sunroom light on etc but hate to throw off her natural schedule. Maybe I am overthinking this lol.
Sure do miss my fiance all the time...but also during this stuff as he would help me doctor up-sometimes hard with only one set of hands lol. Thanks again, you are very kind.
I would just pop the 1/2 aspirin into her beak, she should swallow it, that's what I do.

For soaking, I would go for 10-15 minutes, but of course, gauge her response. Sometimes they seem very comfortable in a bath, but if she acts stressed, then use caution and take her out.

A tote would work fine. I keep a couple of designated dishpans for chicken use LOL
If she gets soaked and you worry about her getting chilled since she's inside, you can use a hair dryer set on low and fluff her up a bit or if it's warm where you are, cage her outside for a while, but make sure she's got some shade.

Keeping her in the dark will throw off the natural schedule, since you will be stopping the egg laying. She would need to be in pretty much total darkness to stop her.

You are doing fine with her :hugs I'm sorry that you are struggling.
When you have time (get home) get some photos of her poop and what the vent looks like now.
I know it's worrisome when things like this happen. Sometimes things don't work out well with a prolapse and the hen declines (I've had that happen), but all you can do is what you're doing. If there's more blood, then I would be inclined to go ahead and treat her with an antibiotic to help with potential infection. Do you have anything on hand?

I would just pop the 1/2 aspirin into her beak, she should swallow it, that's what I do.

For soaking, I would go for 10-15 minutes, but of course, gauge her response. Sometimes they seem very comfortable in a bath, but if she acts stressed, then use caution and take her out.

A tote would work fine. I keep a couple of designated dishpans for chicken use LOL
If she gets soaked and you worry about her getting chilled since she's inside, you can use a hair dryer set on low and fluff her up a bit or if it's warm where you are, cage her outside for a while, but make sure she's got some shade.

Keeping her in the dark will throw off the natural schedule, since you will be stopping the egg laying. She would need to be in pretty much total darkness to stop her.

You are doing fine with her :hugs I'm sorry that you are struggling.
When you have time (get home) get some photos of her poop and what the vent looks like now.
I know it's worrisome when things like this happen. Sometimes things don't work out well with a prolapse and the hen declines (I've had that happen), but all you can do is what you're doing. If there's more blood, then I would be inclined to go ahead and treat her with an antibiotic to help with potential infection. Do you have anything on hand?
Ok, great, wasn't sure if "dry" pilling caused any issues. Ok, will shoot for that. I have done several bumbles and have soaked their feet. The one seemed to like, the other one not so much lol. I have been using the "hospital tubs" they used to give out all the time. Not sure if it would be deep enough to soak her/able to soak her vent if she is standing. That is why I think she will end up really wet. Ok, thank you for the tips/ideas! Yeah not sure I can do a great job with keeping in the dark since room she has to stay in is a sun room lol...but trying for some dark lol, cardboard and large sheet on the large dog crate.

Thank you so much for the kind words! I am just overwhelmed I think and have never experienced this with them. Felt like a bad chicken momma! My fiance, before he passed from cancer, was the one who had more chicken experience. His family raised them when he was younger. I have been learning as I go and like to read up on things. I love my girls. I also have cats(one diabetic) and dogs(one with kidney disease) so was just letting everything get the best of me. I initially kind of go ahhhh!!! Lol. Then chill out as I go along. The lack of experience with it is what gets me I guess.
Yes, I agree, you try your best but sometimes it doesn't always work unfortunately. I doctored one girl for months. She had a reproductive issue I believe/infection(lash egg, treated with antibiotic etc). She was doing better and was going to put back with the others and then all of a sudden had a bad issue with her leg. I had to euthanize for quality of life. It was so sad. Mother Clucker(MC, haha) was her name.
She did poop overnight, rather large normal looking(other than size) and had a lot of I assume urine also. There was no blood that I could see. I believe I have some Baytril on hand if needed.

Thank you! You are very kind and I appreciate all the help and kind words!

Here are some pictures from after her soak. Doesn't look good to me 😢 but trying to remain positive. She didn't really poop much today when I was gone. Update: She did end up pooping when moved her from crate to box with shavings for the night. So that is better at least!

Attachments

• 20200804_200007.jpg
    20200804_200007.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200804_195953.jpg
    20200804_195953.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Here are some pictures from after her soak. Doesn't look good to me 😢 but trying to remain positive. She didn't really poop much today when I was gone. Update: She did end up pooping when moved her from crate to box with shavings for the night. So that is better at least!
Will any of the crusty stuff come out? Have you tried working on that?

Will any of the crusty stuff come out? Have you tried working on that?
This was after the 20 minute soak. The stuff is attached I am pretty sure/the tissue. Will see how it looks in morning after I slathered on ointment tonight after soak. 😕

Sometimes that may be a bit of hardened urates or similar that needs to come out.
She's able to poop though right?
I tried messing with but no luck. Bottom of external part of vent feels hardened if that makes sense, kind of like how maybe a scab would feel? She didn't during the day really..nothing like a normal "blob" just little pieces here and there. She did go finally when moved from crate to box for night.

OK, just keep your ointment on there so it all stays moist. It may loosen up with the soakings and ointment.
Yes, it makes sense that it feels hardened. I think the vent may have been picked at a bit and damaged.

You're doing a good job taking care of her. I know it can be tiring to tend to them, but just keep going.

OK, just keep your ointment on there so it all stays moist. It may loosen up with the soakings and ointment.
Yes, it makes sense that it feels hardened. I think the vent may have been picked at a bit and damaged.

You're doing a good job taking care of her. I know it can be tiring to tend to them, but just keep going.
Yeah I think it was picked at more than I thought originally. 🙁 Feel so bad I didn't find her sooner..had to do all my usual stuff when got home-food and meds for animals etc and then had to hurry to try to get the yard mowed before dark. Poor girl! Hopefully the soakings help like you mentioned.
Thank you for the words of encouragement! I am trying for the poor baby. She did manage to poop a decent amount through the night and then again this morning before cleaned her up again and reapplied ointment. 4 decent sized poos so I imagine that made her feel a bit better(trying to look at the positives lol).

Back
Top Bottom