Prolapsed vent

How is she doing?
Sorry, didn't get a notification about your reply. So strangely enough...she is getting better. The top part of the vent is still protruding though. She is about fed up with me and with being in the crate! She now tries to go after my hands when I put the ointment on in am and pm. Couldn't let her out in yard yesterday bc of storms. When would it be safe to put her back out? I assume vent needs to be all the way back to normal before that can happen. Is there a chance she could have something contagious? I wouldn't think so bc a prolapse but not sure of cause...other than age(2 years in May) and being an ISA Brown. Thank you!

Yes, the tissue needs to be all the way back in before you let her with the others. The other girls may peck at it which will damage the tissue.
Keep the tissue moist with ointment or cream.
Sometimes it takes a while for the swelling to go down, so just continue to do what you're doing.
If it's possible, take her outside for a bit, even if it's it not with the others - it will help break up the monotony for her.

Having a prolapse should not be contagious to the others. It can happen with any laying hen.

Yes, the tissue needs to be all the way back in before you let her with the others. The other girls may peck at it which will damage the tissue.
Keep the tissue moist with ointment or cream.
Sometimes it takes a while for the swelling to go down, so just continue to do what you're doing.
If it's possible, take her outside for a bit, even if it's it not with the others - it will help break up the monotony for her.

Having a prolapse should not be contagious to the others. It can happen with any laying hen.
I figured it needed to be. Figured the bottom part that was like scabby would take longer...but nope. Top part is. Ok, I have been putting both on several times a day which she is getting ticked about lol. Get over it bird. :)
Yeah, I have been letting her out in a different part of the yard. One of the dogs and one of the cats get a kick out of watching her/smelling behind where she walks lol.
I would think the same. Someone on another page was trying to say it could be contagious...I was like huh?...

Any experience with ISA Browns? Have seen articles saying life span is 2 years but maybe up to 5. Just curious as my girls are 2 now. 😕

I figured it needed to be. Figured the bottom part that was like scabby would take longer...but nope. Top part is. Ok, I have been putting both on several times a day which she is getting ticked about lol. Get over it bird. :)
Yeah, I have been letting her out in a different part of the yard. One of the dogs and one of the cats get a kick out of watching her/smelling behind where she walks lol.
I would think the same. Someone on another page was trying to say it could be contagious...I was like huh?...

Any experience with ISA Browns? Have seen articles saying life span is 2 years but maybe up to 5. Just curious as my girls are 2 now. 😕
It may be painful, so that's why she's getting ticked off.
I've never has ISA Browns, sometimes production birds can start to have reproductive problems since they are really churning out the eggs. It stinks.

It may be painful, so that's why she's getting ticked off.
I've never has ISA Browns, sometimes production birds can start to have reproductive problems since they are really churning out the eggs. It stinks.
Yeah, have been trying to be really gentle. Her squirming doesn't help much lol. She must feel better for sure...she is ornery as heck! Her new favorite thing is to jump out of the box she sleeps in before it is even light out...to see what she can get into before I get to the sun room. This morning had to rearrange routine bc she was already trying to run amok haha. The inside cats were like what the heck and watching through the sliding glass door.
Yeah, sad.
So once she is healed, should I just put her back out(I will do at night etc)? Should I be worried she will prolapse again if she lays? Worried if she lays it will happen again and others will peck her again. Ugh. Not sure how long it may be before she lays again though so may not be feasible to keep in.

Yeah, have been trying to be really gentle. Her squirming doesn't help much lol. She must feel better for sure...she is ornery as heck! Her new favorite thing is to jump out of the box she sleeps in before it is even light out...to see what she can get into before I get to the sun room. This morning had to rearrange routine bc she was already trying to run amok haha. The inside cats were like what the heck and watching through the sliding glass door.
Yeah, sad.
So once she is healed, should I just put her back out(I will do at night etc)? Should I be worried she will prolapse again if she lays? Worried if she lays it will happen again and others will peck her again. Ugh. Not sure how long it may be before she lays again though so may not be feasible to keep in.
The others may accept her back no problem, but often you may have to re-introduce one once they have been gone.

The others may accept her back no problem, but often you may have to re-introduce one once they have been gone.
Yeah, had one who went broody a couple times. Usually snuck her back at night and was ok. Helps that they are all the same kind of chicken lol.

Top part of her vent still has not recessed any. She is getting stressed being crated. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom