Prolapsed vent

I’ve tried attaching pictures, but for some reason I can’t get them attached. There’s a strange white “skin” on the prolapse. I tried peeling as much off as I could. I assume it’s poop? At any rate, I was able to push the prolapse back in. Clear fluid immediately came out (which has been occasionally leaking as it is), but the prolapse stayed put. Hoping that in the morning it will still be in place.

A4F68363-516D-45C0-AEFF-196AFE1CA966.jpeg

That is what it looked like tonight. She’s still eating and drinking, active, swimming and preening. She pooped a few nasty ones today, but I figure for sure better out than in.

I’ve tried attaching pictures, but for some reason I can’t get them attached. There’s a strange white “skin” on the prolapse. I tried peeling as much off as I could. I assume it’s poop? At any rate, I was able to push the prolapse back in. Clear fluid immediately came out (which has been occasionally leaking as it is), but the prolapse stayed put. Hoping that in the morning it will still be in place.

Happy to hear you got the tissue back into place. Hopefully, the calcium will do some good, and help contractions, and hopefully induce passage of the egg, if there is one. I would limit treats and consider moistening her feed down with water to lessen the chance of obstructions occurring at the cloaca.

She prolapsed again. We soaked her for a long time in epsom salt and tried to clean it a bit. Finally just sprayed some vetericyn and used sugar (per a recommendation) and pushed it back in. I’m feeling so sad. She’s still acting completely normal... and extremely pissed at us for all the grabbing and touching. She also has bumblefoot that I’m attempting to treat (put that in another thread). I was going to try messing with it tonight, but couldn’t bear to put her through even more. Really hoping it stays in. My kids love our chickens and ducks so much. To lose her would be devastating.

Attachments

• C6D3C93C-47A2-4343-8FDD-20AFC5E3D52D.jpeg
    C6D3C93C-47A2-4343-8FDD-20AFC5E3D52D.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 4
Is that an egg inside the swelled part you have pictured, or just tissue?

Sorry to hear she is contuiing to have problems with the prolapse - at this point with all the treatment you're doing, it may be best if you take her to a vet. Is that an option?
It’s just tissue. I don’t know any vets around who deal with poultry, and as much as I want her to get well and am terrified of having to put her down if she doesn’t, I’m not really in a place to spend a ton of money at the vet. Plus, we just got 30 inches of snow and things are pretty crazy around here!

It’s just tissue. I don’t know any vets around who deal with poultry, and as much as I want her to get well and am terrified of having to put her down if she doesn’t, I’m not really in a place to spend a ton of money at the vet. Plus, we just got 30 inches of snow and things are pretty crazy around here!

Besides continually moistening the tissue, and pushing it back in, I'm afraid you're limited to what you can do at home - if the tissue comes back out again, you may consider using DMSO pet gel, and apply it to the tissue, as that will help reduce any swelling. In addition with that, continuing to soak her in cool Epsom salts, administering calcium supplements, hopefully, the problem will resolve itself with time. I have limited experience with reoccurring prolapses so others may have suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom