Prolapsed vent?

CMW

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2021
Cape Cod, MA
Hi all, I have a chicken who has been fine all day, but then tonight when I was getting ready to close them in I noticed she was in the nesting box although she laid an egg already. She came out, drank a lot of water and then I finally got a look at her vent. I think it is prolapsed? She seems to have had diarrhea too, based on the surrounding feathers. Does anyone have advice on what this is and how to treat it? I just lost a chicken a few weeks ago, likely due to a respiratory issue and another chicken has been diagnosed with an Enterobacter infection recently. So, I'm just devastated by what's happening! Picture attached
IMG_7254.jpeg

I'm sorry your post got overlooked. I know you must be very stresses. I've dealt with prolapsed vent but not the rest. For prolapse, I soak my girl in a warm bath to clean the vent, wearing clean gloves and using a little petroleum jelly, I gently push and hold it in for a minute or two. I keep my girls feathers trimmed around her vent and give her additional calcium once a week.
I'm going to boost this post and hopefully someone more knowledgable will see it.
Best of luck. Do what you can and don't beat yourself up over what you can't fix.

Back
Top Bottom