Prolapsed vent

denisa1

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2020
I have a 10 month old bantam who started laying during late February-March and i think i haven’t seen her lay for about two weeks or maybe a bit less.4 Days ago i noticed her vent prolapsed but i didn’t know what it was so i tried soaking her vent feathers with warm water and after that i started researching.I had to get her outside after some time because my dad doesn’t let me keep chickens in the house anymore (i used to keep them during their sick days) and my sister has been nagging about her smell which i got used to so i didn’t really mind.During that day she hasn’t been pecked by anybody but i didn’t want to keep her outside either.After my mom got home it was dawn time and with her help i pushed the prolapse back in gently with some vaseline and warm water.The next morning it went back out again and i brought her back in the house while my dad was at work,i soaked her butt in warm water and went to the only vet in my hometown ith my bestfriend.It was a waste of time because as i predicted,they just told me to cull her.They didn’t check her or anything i just said that she prolapsed.But i’ve read so many articles online and i wasn’t going to ever give up on her.Most articles/threads are written by people who live in the USA and vet stores are poorly equipped (even online ones)around here in Romania since people don’t care about their chickens since they’re not pets.The only same thing i managed to buy was epsom salt and instead of preparation H i bought a hemorrhoid cream and i had some Methylene blue at home (the vet recommended it after she told me to cull her).I also bought an anti inflammatory cream from the pharmacy but it contained lidocaine so i never used it on her.I have been cleaning her prolapse with the epsom salt water,the methylene and the cream for the past days.Her prolapse stays back as long as she doesn’t poop.I kept her in a large covered cage outside as long as my dad was home but i can only cover the top of it but i hate to keep her there since she really wants to get out to hang with the others and also because this week and all next weeks are going to be full of showers (rain) and it’s not really that warm outside,like 12 C degrees at most.I’m sad,stressed and frustrated i just want my chickens to live happy healthy long lives.Her prolapse is pretty mild since she doesn’t have poop stuck inside and it’s not a big one.Maybe an egg?I never tried to feel for one since i don’t really know how (but i can look it up) and i’m scared of hurting my hen.I’ve been thinking of sprinkling sugar and smearing some honey but i don’t know how that will work out since it’s so sticky and i don’t want to block her vent.Currently she’s being held in a room outside the house which normally is a small kitchen that we don’t use but still risking my dad throwing a fit over the fact that she’s there.Any advice please?

One more article to read, one I wrote after dealing with prolapse. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Prolapses usually won't resolve until a blockage clears. The blockage is usually an egg. No, you will usually not be able to feel it because it could be collapsed inside her. Find a calcium supplement, the kind women take to keep bones strong. Give the hen one tablet immediately. This helps contractions to be strong enough to push out the obstruction.

Once the collapse egg comes out, the prolapse will retract. If egg yolk broke inside her, she will need an antibiotic to treat bacteria growing in the yolk.

One more article to read, one I wrote after dealing with prolapse. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Prolapses usually won't resolve until a blockage clears. The blockage is usually an egg. No, you will usually not be able to feel it because it could be collapsed inside her. Find a calcium supplement, the kind women take to keep bones strong. Give the hen one tablet immediately. This helps contractions to be strong enough to push out the obstruction.

Once the collapse egg comes out, the prolapse will retract. If egg yolk broke inside her, she will need an antibiotic to treat bacteria growing in the yo

Once the collapse egg comes out, the prolapse will retract. If egg yolk broke inside her, she will need an antibiotic to treat bacteria growing in the yolk.
Do i need to give her the whole tablet if she’s a bantam?Won’t she choke on it?
Sorry for the dumb questions but i’m scared of accidentally killing her.

Do i need to give her the whole tablet if she’s a bantam?Won’t she choke on it?
Sorry for the dumb questions but i’m scared of accidentally killing her.
And do i need to keep pushing her prolapse in?Or should i just wait until the egg comes out?

I did
And thank you for the response :) my mom is going to buy the calcium asap but i worry she might not be able to buy the antibiotic since we need a doctor’s prescription for it but she’ll give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom