Prolapsed Vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VandyClark, Feb 20, 2013.

1. VandyClark

VandyClark Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Woodville, TX
    I just got 3 new baby chicks and was cleaning some built-up waste from one when I noticed this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've cleaned her up as best I can and have tried to push this back inside, but to avail. She's just as active as the others and seems well... but what what is this? What can I do for her??

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    IF this is a prolapsed vent you will need to apply honey or prep-h... the chick seems to be very young for this problem to occur.

Suzie

3. VandyClark

Mar 14, 2012
    Woodville, TX
    I'm not sure what it is! I've read about this happening with laying chickens- but not this! What is the prep h & honey? Do I mix them? Or alternate?

4. 6 littleHens

6 littleHens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Preperation h is an over the counter ointment for hemorrhoids that you can buy at the pharmacy or grocery store. Each time after applying it, it will start shrinking a prolapsed rectum back up into a bird. I have used it twice on a cockatiel and a baby chick. It was effective both times. A prolapsed rectum is life threatening to a bird. Our cockatiel was having difficulty breathing and near death and it saved him. After the first application of it on Larry, our cockatiel, he would turn around on his perch when he saw and smelled the q-tip with the ointment on it and stick his butt up toward my face. He remembered that it took his pain away and really enjoyed it after that! LOL! Now, I keep prep h in my emergency chicken kit.

5. VandyClark

Mar 14, 2012
    Woodville, TX
    I did get some prep H & applied it to her. She's such a young thing- just days old- I hope it helps. I wouldn't even begin to be able to "cull" her... These are my pets! I'm a "bad" farm girl!! I worry though, if this will be a life long issue for her, esp if she reaches laying age... I don't want her suffer. But she is acting just fine- as active as the others & chirped up a storm when I cleaned her & applied the PH!

6. VandyClark

Mar 14, 2012
    Woodville, TX
    She's responding well to the Prep H. I was hoping someone else might have any ideas about this condition?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could send some pictures to the pathology lab at Texas A&M, they might know.

8. andreap

andreap New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    I know this post of yours was from a couple of years ago, but how did this chick do? I have one with the same vent issue. We've had her about a week and we keep having to clean her vent b/c of poop buildup. I haven't specifically tried preparation H yet. This is our first time with chicks and I don't want to kill her, but I don't see an end to having to clean her everyday. She isn't growing as well as the other chicks that we purchased at the same time, but she seems happy and is finally starting to get a little bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by