Prolapsed vent?

AQHAchick22

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Averill Park, NY
I just went to check on my flock and my campine hen has a bloody rear end, right around her vent. I haven't been able to grab her yet to check on her closer but it doesn't look good. She is free ranging, eating and drinking. She is almost a year old and I don't think she's ever laid an egg...do you think this is a prolapsed vent? Would there be a lot of blood?

I took a look last night, didn't think to get a picture, I'll get one this afternoon. There is no way it was a predator, she was in the coop most of the day and all the other chickens are fine. She keeps going into a nesting box and sitting in there...I'm just going to pick up some prep H and clean her up and give that a try. She isn't the tamest of hens so it's difficult to get her to cooperate and I don't want to stress her out more.

I had a polish hen with a bloody behind - other than the blood on her hind end she seemed fine (I flipped her over to check for obvious damage-she 'loved' that). Mine are free range, too. I just kept a close eye on her for a few days and it cleared up on its own. Maybe it was her first egg or something...she's fine now. I hope that's all that's going on w/ your girl.

Back
Top Bottom