Prolapsed vent

@jujube2
The pictures are hard to see. Can you try to catch her, need to know if it smells, is she smeared in poop, is she prolapsed? If she is prolapsed the other birds will go after her. More pictures if you can catch her.

Thanks for the replies. I will have my husband help me catch her for clearer photos and will see if there is a smell. While I have her I will try the epsom salts bath as well and cut the feathers. We will be down to 15 degrees tomorrow so she will be a bit chilly back there. I did notice she was popping a looser stool today and went after only weeds and greens along with her water. She is moving around at normal speeds and is the only one of the 22 hens we have seen looking like this. They are 7 monthsand are laying eggs, are separated from
the roosters so no mating yet.

Use a hair dryer after to dry her, i would keep her in until the next day to make sure she is dry. I am sure she will enjoy the spa treatment. :)

Here is a picture. It's not super clean now
sad.png
, time for another bath. Good idea with the honey and epsom salt. I'll give them a try.
The part that looks like poo will NOT come off. I've tried and tired.

I have read your thread since you started. You are really brave to do this thing. I hope she feels better.
How is she doing now?

I had to clean the house this morning so she didn't get her morning spa treatment. It looked much better by the end of the day yesterday. She's eating, drinking and acting normal. He vent still keeps popping out and still has a big scab, but we are going to work on it so more today. Despite her being in a dark room to keep her from laying, she laid and egg yesterday. I will get a pic later today and post it. I'm not sure if I'm brave or crazy...LOL! The things we do for our girls.
yippiechickie.gif

This is the newest picture. It still doesn't want to stay in and we still have a bit of a scab, but WAY better than what we started with.

Use a hair dryer after to dry her, i would keep her in until the next day to make sure she is dry. I am sure she will enjoy the spa treatment.
smile.png
She doesn't like the hair dryer AT ALL! I get her as dry as possible. That's the only part of her treatment she doesn't like. I swear she'd fall asleep in the sink if our house was quieter.
clap.gif

Anatomy-of-the-chicken-with-text.jpg

chicken_digestion_labeled.jpg

labeled_digestive_tract_2.jpg

Is the yellow stuff one of her organs ? I can't see it well.
You said that you can't get rid of....

The good news is what she eats and drinks and lays an egg. :)

After an operation or scar tissue will be healed in 2 weeks around as I heard. I may be wrong.

Last edited:
She doesn't like the hair dryer AT ALL! I get her as dry as possible. That's the only part of her treatment she doesn't like. I swear she'd fall asleep in the sink if our house was quieter. :clap
That hard scab, Is it attached to the vent itself and not the prolapse. How is her poop looking?
Glad she enjoys her spa treatment, :) to bad the blow dryer scares her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom