Prolapsed Vent

darkbrahmamama

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
My younger (5 months old) hens are just starting to lay. This morning I went to go clean what I thought was just poop off of the butt of one of the girls (one of my 1 & 1/2 year olds is recovering from FlyStrike, so I wanted to prevent that from happening again!). So, I put her under the warm running water, & to my horror it was more than just poop. Her little pullet egg was out of her body, but still stuck at the vent opening with the tip of the egg (about 1/4 of it) showing, & a little bit of what should be inside, now outside. After about 20 - 30 minutes of warm water & rubbing, I helped her pass the normal sized pullet egg without it breaking. There was a little blood on the egg - not as much as I would have thought there'd be. Now, I'm completely clueless on what to do about her prolapsed vent. What's sticking out is between nickel & quarter sized, so it's not huge or a lot .... enough that it made me feel like passing out the entire time I was trying to help her. She's in a small dog crate, in the bathroom in the tackroom that's in the barn. She has water with vitamins & electrolytes. Food. She's in complete darkness to help prevent laying. I've read so many things, that I don't really know what to do. Leave her alone, push it back in whenever it needs it, keep KY on it, use prep-H, don't use prep-H, use honey ...... wow, so many answers & nothing agrees!

Right now I'm happy that I have the egg out. She's alert, drinking, eating, moving slowly (heck, I wouldn't be moving at all if that happened to me!). Any good recommendations? What's best to put on it for healing? Would bag balm be OK? Or shouldn't I put something like Neo? Nothing at all except KY?

::SIGH::

Last edited:
Gave in & used a mixture of prep-h & ky tonight. Pushed it back in & held it there for a few minutes. Didn't want to use too many different things ..... maybe tomorrow I'll use an ointment & ky mix to help fight against infection?

Honey is also good to use as well as the Preparation H ointment to help reduce swelling. You are so lucky to have found her prolapse and stuck egg. I have seen where some have had to cut the egg out, and some who have died before getting the egg out. I wish I had seen your thread earlier today, don't know how I missed it. Here are some good links for help:
http://beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
http://beautyofbirds.com/eggbinding.html

I'm learning about all of the things to have on hand for chickens. Already had blu-kote, bag balm, & Vetericyn (my favorite) because of my horse. Now going to keep monistat, prep-h, ky, & honey on hand ...... should make for an interesting shopping trip! I'll be honest, the only reason I noticed was because I saw she had poop on her bottom, & having one in recovery due to flystrike, I didn't want another one & decided to clean her off. I assume it's ok to keep pushing it back in & hold it in for a minute or two? How long should it take to heal? Will there be huge concerns for future laying?

You might want to add calcium gluconate to your chicken first aid kit. It can be used in hens that are passing shell-less eggs and in hens having trouble passing eggs.

-Kathy

It helps their muscles and tissues with the contractions needed. Proper hydraytion also plays a huge role in egg bound hens. The dose that I use is 100mg/kg every twelve hours.

To calculate that, take the weigh of the hen, divided by 2.2, times 100, divide by 230. That will give the amount to give that bird.

A six pound bird is:
6/2.2 x 100/230 = 1.2ml (rounded up from 1.185)

Refrigerate after opening or it will grow mold.

-Kathy

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind. She never showed signs of being egg bound, so I don't know if something just went wrong at exit or what .......

I still haven't gotten everything to stay in yet. I put the prep-h on daily, & also started putting an antibiotic ointment on the little bit that keeps coming out. It's maybe about 2" long & 1" wide (max) & really thin. My concern right now is that today she is drinking A LOT of water. She's still up, alert, moving around, & eating. She's even happy to snoop around the tack room while I do chores & let her out of the crate. Is the increase of water a sign of infection? Should I pick up some antibiotics?

I still haven't gotten everything to stay in yet. I put the prep-h on daily, & also started putting an antibiotic ointment on the little bit that keeps coming out. It's maybe about 2" long & 1" wide (max) & really thin. My concern right now is that today she is drinking A LOT of water. She's still up, alert, moving around, & eating. She's even happy to snoop around the tack room while I do chores & let her out of the crate. Is the increase of water a sign of infection? Should I pick up some antibiotics?
If she were mine I would give her Baytril just in case.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom