Prolong runny nose in Chicken, no other symptom, not spreading

Nepenthes

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
NC, USA
Hi all,
My young roo (he's about 8 months now) has been having this runny/stuffy nose for a few months now. He's the only one in the flock of 30 to have this symptom.

He doesn't have any other symptom either, just normal chicken doing normal thing, active and drinking and eating. He grows a bit slower than other roos though.

The first sign of runny nose started when we had a cold snap. He didn't sneeze or cough, just the sound of chicken clearing their nose when eating. I used Vetex but his nose was still runny then he started to have eye bubbles. He was still eating and drinking and active. I gave him LA 200 twice and his eye stopped bubbling. All this was from the space of 2 months. He still has clear runny nose from time to time but only when it's very cold at night. During this time he's with his flock and none of them has the same symptom.

Then a week ago he started to have eye bubble again and there's this bulge on his cheek so I got him inside and gave him LA 200 again. He's still acting normal, eating and drinking and active. This is day 4 and his runny nose is not better.

None of my other chickens show any sign on runny nose throughout this time.

I've looked at all the possible disease and all of them are contagious and have other symptoms.

I tried flushing his nose but it seems there's a blockage there (water wont go in), may be there's food lodge in there? I looked in his mouth but nothing seems out of ordinary.

Anybody experience similar situation?

Hi all,
My young roo (he's about 8 months now) has been having this runny/stuffy nose for a few months now. He's the only one in the flock of 30 to have this symptom.

He doesn't have any other symptom either, just normal chicken doing normal thing, active and drinking and eating. He grows a bit slower than other roos though.

The first sign of runny nose started when we had a cold snap. He didn't sneeze or cough, just the sound of chicken clearing their nose when eating. I used Vetex but his nose was still runny then he started to have eye bubbles. He was still eating and drinking and active. I gave him LA 200 twice and his eye stopped bubbling. All this was from the space of 2 months. He still has clear runny nose from time to time but only when it's very cold at night. During this time he's with his flock and none of them has the same symptom.

Then a week ago he started to have eye bubble again and there's this bulge on his cheek so I got him inside and gave him LA 200 again. He's still acting normal, eating and drinking and active. This is day 4 and his runny nose is not better.

None of my other chickens show any sign on runny nose throughout this time.

I've looked at all the possible disease and all of them are contagious and have other symptoms.

I tried flushing his nose but it seems there's a blockage there (water wont go in), may be there's food lodge in there? I looked in his mouth but nothing seems out of ordinary.

Anybody experience similar situation?
have you given them anything sticky to eat in the past two months?

Cooked rice is their favorite treat!!! ahh. I'll try to flush his nose again. I'm too afraid to do it.
Yea.. I try not to feed that since they might have trouble breathing. I am not sure what to do in that case because if there is rice stuck in there then it might have hardened. Pulling it out with tweezers might hurt him.

Hopefully it’s not something serious like a respiratory infection! Most of the common respiratory infections are chronic and birds carry it for life as well as transmitting it through the eggs, making offspring sick as well.

To me it sounds like he may have an infection of some sorts possibly needing anti-biotics. Generally the infection itself isn't contagious but whatever caused the infection could be. If its been this long I'm not sure I'd still be worried about it being contagious.

You probably will need to treat with an anti-biotic to get it to clear up. He likely will kick it on his own but sometimes they last forever!

To me it sounds like he may have an infection of some sorts possibly needing anti-biotics. Generally the infection itself isn't contagious but whatever caused the infection could be. If its been this long I'm not sure I'd still be worried about it being contagious.

You probably will need to treat with an anti-biotic to get it to clear up. He likely will kick it on his own but sometimes they last forever!
Thanks. I thought the same.
I've been treating him with LA 200, his second dose was on Sunday. I think I'll give him one more dose. Or else I'll try other antibiotic too. nothing's over the counter anymore though.

Back
Top Bottom