Prong Collar?! Tell Me About Them.

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
I am getting a puppy soon. Wait! Let me stop right there! I will never put a prong collar on her don't worry! When I was looking at some dog products a few months ago I noticed that prong collars appeared to a bit.

Why do people use them?- Is it for the safety of the dog? Temporary training to make sure that the dog does not get itself killed? Is it for dogs with hostility or high prey drives?

When do people use them?- Are they just for training? Work time? Walks? All The Time?

Are they humane? I looked at them and they look pretty uncomfortable but I have seen some kind chicken owners here on BYC post pictures of their dogs wearing prong collars.

Also, why do some people use this instead of many other alternatives?

I am just really curious about all of this and would like to hear both sides.
I will never put a prong collar on my dog though.

I am getting a puppy soon. Wait! Let me stop right there! I will never put a prong collar on her don't worry! When I was looking at some dog products a few months ago I noticed that prong collars appeared to a bit.

Why do people use them?- Is it for the safety of the dog? Temporary training to make sure that the dog does not get itself killed? Is it for dogs with hostility or high prey drives?

When do people use them?- Are they just for training? Work time? Walks? All The Time?

Are they humane? I looked at them and they look pretty uncomfortable but I have seen some kind chicken owners here on BYC post pictures of their dogs wearing prong collars.

Also, why do some people use this instead of many other alternatives?

I am just really curious about all of this and would like to hear both sides.
I will never put a prong collar on my dog though.
If you’re so dead set against them why would anyone bother explaining them to you?
They work for strong and aggressive dogs plain and simple. It’s a temporary training tool. Watch some videos from credible dog trainers and you’ll get all the answers you’re looking for.

Prong collars, when used properly, can be an effective training device for dogs, to teach them to walk nicely on a leash. They are not really recommended anymore because most dogs can pull too hard with them on. I used to work at a vet and we had a dog that came in and had actually collapsed their throat because they pulled too hard while wearing one! There are much better, safer means to train your dog to walk nicely. What kind of pup are you getting?

If you’re so dead set against them why would anyone bother explaining them to you?
They work for strong and aggressive dogs plain and simple. It’s a temporary training tool. Watch some videos from credible dog trainers and you’ll get all the answers you’re looking for.
I am just interested in people's options here and am curious of their use. Watching a youtube video does not match talking through text.

Also I am not against them, I don't even know what they do.

Prong collars, when used properly, can be an effective training device for dogs, to teach them to walk nicely on a leash. They are not really recommended anymore because most dogs can pull too hard with them on. I used to work at a vet and we had a dog that came in and had actually collapsed their throat because they pulled too hard while wearing one! There are much better, safer means to train your dog to walk nicely. What kind of pup are you getting?
I am getting a husky. I have been thinking of a harness because they are pullers. :D

It is like a noose, when the dog pulls, the collar tightens, sometimes to the point where the dog chokes. I won't ever use them, but if you do, be humane. Personally, I recommend a harness or at least a collar.

Edit: never mind, I think I am getting confused with a choke collar. :p
I was just going to say, so it is like an even more serious version of a choke collar. But then I saw your edit. :p

A lot of training tools, collars etc depend wholly on the breed of dog, amount of drive and whether or not it’s a working line. A bunch of answers from people with dogs that don’t have the kind of drives certain dogs have will just confuse everything. Opinions by people that have never used them or are biased because of one instance of misuse doesn’t help.

Back
Top Bottom