Pronounciation Help "Cochin"

Quote:
Could be... that would be interesting:)

beakeeper and bawkbawkbawk, I looked in several Chinese dictionaries for kouqin's being their translation of quail.
The only definition for the two syllables "kouqin" that I could find was "harmonica".
The only translation of quail I could find was 鹌鹑 ānchún (pronouced onchoon).

Let me double check tomorrow for some syllables that sound like kou and qin. It could be that if was changed by the invading Europeans because they didn't really understand/hear the pronunciation. There's another useful translation method called Wade-Giles, "cochin" might be listed there; however, I've forgotten almost all of what little I ever knew about the Wade-Giles pronunciation system.

When I first saw the word Cochin, I was pronouncing it German, with a ch that I call the "soft hairball sound." Don't know why, guess I just assumed that it wouldn't be as easy as saying it phoenetically.
hu.gif

The correct pronounciation of "Cochin" is "Fluffy-Butt!" Slight accent on the first half of the compound word.

Or, when arriving and the gate with a proper offering of garden foodstuffs, it is "Fluffy-Butts, Ahoy!"

(Especially on a day shortly after National Talk Like a Pirate Day.)

Quote:
GOOD JOB! YA FOUND IT!
"Cochin (chicken)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A Blue Cochin hen

The Cochin or Cochin China, originally known as the Chinese Shanghai, is a breed of chicken. The name Cochin came from its original Chinese name 九斤黄(in pinyin: jiujin huang, pronounced joo-chin hwong), meaning nine jin yellow, where jin is a traditional Chinese measurement of weight."

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Europeans heard jiujin as cochin because actually jiu sounds more like gee-oh (jeocheen probably later became cochin for the chicken and the quail). They did worse than that with a lot of Chinese words written in Wade-Giles and then Pinyin; remember when Beijing was pronounced Peking? Pinyin was/is better.

BTW, thanks again because I'd all but given up on finding anything in Wade-Giles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom