Proper way to hold a chicken?

Quote:
That's exactly it. Maybe he was looking at them as "disposable" or something. So sad.
sad.png

Poor thing..lol. I know it's not funny. But that is the beauty of animals. They don't live for tomorrow or yesterday, they live for right now. Thankfully she won't remember...

Another way that might not be as stressful/life threatening as holding the birds by the feet (although I must say I have done it and have never lost a bird that way) is to pick them up and slide your thumb under one of their wings at the joint and another finger under the joint of the other wing. By joint I mean where it attaches to the body. They definitely won't aspirate and it keeps them from flapping. I usually only do that if they are really dirty and I don't want to hold them real close. Sometimes I hod their feet at the same time. I also don't carry them long distances that way or anything. Although it shouldn't really cause them any discomfort.

I catch and carry mine by the feet, except for the exceptionally tame ones. It keeps them quiet and I think it's less stressful than letting them flap and squawk.

Quote:
That is how I now handle some of my birds, as it works great for flighty bantams and younger birds.

Quote:
Well now you know....and truth be known...your chicken probably doesnt even remember anymore...lol...
hugs.gif

Thank God.
smile.png

Here's a suggestion for you, perhaps nextime he comes over you should hang a rope from a high branch ande hold him upside down until he stops struggeling and ask him if that is the proper way to hold a living breathing ANIMAL!!!!!!
barnie.gif
he.gif

Geez----- some people are so ------- you know!!!! The poor chicken, sorry that had to happen to her and put you and the kids through that.

Last edited:
I hold mine by the feet, but upright, so one hand supports the chicken, trapping the feet between your fingers. This keeps me from being scratched. With the other hand, I either provide additional support if they're jumpy, or lightly stroke their back to keep them calm. They seem to love being handled that way.

When I had chickens when I was younger we would move them by their feet occasionally, but now the chicks that I have are so tame I don't think I'd ever do that.

bigrey

OH MY! Never allow anyone to hold your chicken upside down! I'ts dangerous and their lungs can't handle it. THey will pass out and die. Poor things! I would have slapped him upside the head! GRRRR. Of course you didn't know so it's not your fault. It is also used for punishment if you can't train your rooster any other way. Just for a second but not any length of time.

Back
Top Bottom