Proper way to hold a chicken?

When I bring my roo, Captain Lafitte, down from the garage door, I put one hand on each side to pin the wings down, with my thumbs under his legs. (it is not pleasant to be hit in the face with a flapping wing) I set him on top of the ladder. Pet him a little, then get him in that loose football (great description) hold that DK mentioned.

Most of mine are pretty good in that football hold, at least for short distances.

I have caught a chicken by the leg to get a hold of it. I have held my roo upside down when he challenged me when I picked up Millie (his first love - stays within 5 feet of her). It does work very well as a punishment. Almost did it over the boots, until I realized why he was so upset and wanting to attack. Really haven't had a problem with him since I did it. I also realize, that being a teenager that he was probably just testing his boundaries to see what he could and could not do.

Good question and topic btw.

Old timer chicken farmers ONLY pick up chickens in this way. Did you know that you can hypnotize chickens? My DD's can and they pick them up gently by their legs and turn them upside down...they NEVER flap about. Hold two fingers close to their beaks and draw an imaginary line out away from them...then lay them down on the ground. They will stay for 2=3 minutes and then hop up like nothing happened. They are so proud of this skill taught to them by a chicken breeder...

WE have Never LOST any chicken yet...from this carry.

Is there anyone here that has? Post if so...so we can hear your story.
pop.gif

It might kill the chicken if you hold it like that for a couple hours. Fluid will eventually rush to the brain like in humans, but it takes a while. When we show ours we are taught to hold them like that. It doesn't hurt the bird. I sure you don't plan to be spending 3hrs a day carrying around the chickens, so i see no harm in holding them upside down for a few minutes.

Quote:
I would give mother dearest a call and let her know that you did not approve of that action and that it frightened your children/ HER GRANDCHILDREN and that it threatened the health of your bird, which is not accustomed to that sort of treatment.

My girls like being held differently...2 of them want to be held with two hands and tucked securely under your arm. 1 of them wants to perch on your hand/arm with the other hand on her back and the other 3 want to sit on the back of your hand and be pulled close to your chest. One of those also likes to sit on your lap.

I agree that if anyone had grabbed one of my girls that way it would been all over but the shouting and a surgeon removing my foot from him. When you are at someone's home and messing with their animals, you do so respectfully and with caution, not as you wish.

Quote:
Just like you can with an alligator perhaps?

With an alligator, once you get passed the bad attitude, thrashing tail and sharp teeth, you flip him over and rub his tummy....he will lay there motionless for a few minutes and then flip over, try to eat you and maybe trot away. Foolish...yes! Dangerous for you....yes! Dangerous for alligator...yes!

What really happens is that when you flip an alligator over onto its back, you deprive the brain of oxygen and they pass out. They are not sleeping or hypnotized. If you continue doing it, you could eventually kill it.

So have you ever questioned why the chickens act in such an abnormal behavior when they do this? Is it safe for the health of chicken? Rather than letting your kids continue to do so and perfect their 'skill'? Seems very unnatural to me and I shall not be letting anyone try it with one of mine. I just do not view animals or my pets and animals as guinea pigs or lab subjects for experiments. Call me stupid that way.

Last edited:
I don't think the issue is whether or not it will harm the bird. I think the issue is whether or not someone should handle someone elses pet without asking. Period.

When I'm at someone's home, and they have a nice dog or cat, I ask if they would mind if I pet him or her. That's just me, but it seems disrespectful to take anything upon oneself in someone elses home.

I'd no sooner pet a dog someone was walking, (without first asking.) either, for that matter, then I would scoop up their toddler and swing him/her around.

Quote:
I used to do that to my pet chicken. Lay her on her back...same thing. she'd hop up and act like nothing happened....

I was gonna post the question "how". I was sliding my hand under chickens and legs dangled for a while, but now they are getting outa that and want to perch on my arm more...I have to practice the football hold or chest hold like hug i think. but usually a hand on their back settles them down quick..

Back
Top Bottom