1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

proper way to store egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bleith, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    is it big or little side up and does it matter. also, how long will a fresh egg last un-refrigerated

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If you are storing them for eating, it doesn't matter what side is up. I store eating eggs in a basket on the counter. They'll last at least a couple of weeks that way, unless your house is excessively hot. In the refrigerator, they're good for 2-3 months, maybe more.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I agree, it doesn't really matter how you store them (our fridge only has eight egg slots, so we're lying them down all over the place to make them fit. [​IMG]). How long they last depends on the temperature. Here it's very hot in summer, so outside you want to have them eaten within a week. We also try to eat the refrigerated ones within a week too so they're fresh, but they do last a lot longer than that when cold. [​IMG]

4. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
  5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

When I put them in cartons they're big side up. I write the date on each one and it's easier to write it on the big side.

6. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    We keep ours on the kitchen counter most of the year, but middle of summer it gets too hot so I put them in the fridge.

I only ever cook with room temp eggs, so in the hotter months I will keep a few out of the fridge for those impulse baking sprees!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by