Proposed NJ Ord NOW VIRAL! See Post #1 (Update) & #36 newsclip

The entire ordinance is preposterous and a biosecurity nightmare. It's obvious that whoever is proposing this "conjugal visits for roosters" idea knows nothing about chickens at all. Several points I'd like to make:

1) Hens will not submit immediately to just any old rooster, which may surprise some folks who think they will just mate indiscriminately with whatever rooster comes along. One or both may be hurt in the fight. I've seen with my own eyes hens bloody roosters they did not in their pen. So, there is the injury factor for both hen and rooster. A rooster suddenly introduced to a flock of new hens may, in his excitement, actually kill the hen by aggressive mating. That is not uncommon.

2) A rooster or the flock of hens he's being presented to may be carrying a herpes-type virus or bacterial carrier-type disease quite common in US flocks. Many chicken diseases are herpes-like in that the bird may seem to recover, yet remain a carrier for life. That means that, even though the rooster or hens may be asymptomatic at the time, the bird can infect the ones he/she is being introduced to and cause someone to have to depopulate their entire flock or risk spreading disease to surrounding flocks. The rooster may carry back a disease from the hens or the hens could contract a disease from the rooster. You cannot tell just by looking at a chicken if it is a disease carrier or not. They may appear perfectly healthy but be a sort of Typhoid Mary.

3) The plan is ill-advised at the very least, and potentially fatal at the very worst, resulting in either injury or disease, or both. As a chicken keeper/breeder who practices strict biosecurity and does not allow any started bird, adult or chick, from another individual's flock to come onto the property and has a no-return policy for customers purchasing birds from me, I feel this plan may have potential deadly consequences. I would seriously advise against it.

I hear yappy dogs all day long,but I bet someone would complain about my rooster crowing 6-8 times at 8am when I let him out. I don't think my roo would appreciate me holding him in the garage 24/7 and letting him out for a *quickie*. He is my first roo and I noticed he stands guard over the girls all day long. I don't see why people freak over crowing unless it is all day long or at 3am.

When we drove to get our roo in PA I saw a lot of *new* developments smack in the middle of farming land. I was so sad for the farmers,and the neighboring homes that probably have animals. I recall reading a thread once where people in a HOA development were trying to impose their rules on a neighboring farm house. The people in the new neighborhood did not like the cloths line,animals,and wire fencing and lol, sent letters to the farm home telling them it wasn't permitted!

Well, the ordinance was approved last night (with some kind of minor amendment requiring USDA health form/guarantee for the visiting roosters - I have not yet seen the language - this was in response to the biosecurity questions raised).

So......... it happened, despite calls from a number of folks to remove the conjugal visit provisions altogether in favor of just allowing nuisance laws to be called upon if problem hens/roosters should 'need discipline', as with dogs, rowdy humans and other forms of nuisance.

This will hit the papers soon and could of course spread to other locales if they somehow believe that this community knew what it was doing.

JJ

Last edited:
Quote:
Unbelievable!! What do they think - the roosters are going to go through a decontamination chamber before arriving to do their duty? Didn't anyone on that committee have chickens? Absolutely incredible.
th.gif
:th
he.gif
:he
somad.gif

USDA health form/guarantee

Does anyone know more about this?

Mary, some of the people involved do have chickens
th.gif

JJ​

Back
Top Bottom